Wickes French Doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone had any experience fitting them? (Hard wood)

We got the set with 2 french doors and 2 demi panels. My problem has ben fitting the demi panels. The instructions say they must be hinged on one side (outer frame) and then screwed into the inside jamb. EXCEPT when I hinged the first one, it wouldn't close......it fits straight in to the opening with a mil either side to spare. As soon as it's hinged, the thing is just too wide for it to close.

I guess I must be doing something wrong, any thoughts?

And yes, I cut out for the hinges etc, but to no avail. Can anyone think of an alternative way of fixing that side? Bearing in mind that I can't take the window out of the panel, that was in when supplied and removing it means breaking the trim.

Flummaxed :confused:

Sponsored Links
What area are you from? or is it possible to do a drawing ?

I think I understand what you're saying.Take the hinge off the door / jamb and close the hinge flap together and are they flat together in parallel or in a angle ?

When closed the hinges are not flush but kick apart slightly towards the pinned edge.

I know where you're going I think, I looked at every hinge in B&Q warehouse (and Wickes huge stock!) and couldn't find any 4" hinges that closed flat. (which struck me as being the problem.

It strikes me also that I wouldn't have had this problem if they just supplied the appropriate hinges with the doors! They know you need them after all..

Incidently, Manchester.

Normally when we get this problem,we shave off the door jamb in a slight angle if the hinge flap are not flat together which will close the gap or you can use a heavy duty flush type hinge or cut out the hinge slot deeper. Picture of flush hinge on www.sycamoreproductsltd.co.uk/flush_hinges.html but you would need a heavy duty type for the weight of the door.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Masona
What I did in the event was to shave off one of the two raised edges on the demi panel, this was just enough to get the thing closed, it won't be seen nor will it interfere with the draught proof strip.

Pain in the backside though all in all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back