Wiring in Cupboards and Fitted Wardrobes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,

I know that under 17th all cable set in walls of less than 50 mm has to either be mechanically protected (armoured cable etc. etc.) or electrically protected with an RCD, or else set in surface-mounted trunking.

However, what are the rules if the wiring is within a cupboard or fitted wardrobe? Should it still need to be protected or can it just be secured to wall inside with cable clips? Am talking of a 5 amp lighting circuit here...

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
What's the cable suppling and where is it being extended or supplied from?

Thanks. It's the 1 mm2 switch cable to the ceiling light in the bedroom. It goes to a switch that is inconveniently inside the fitted wardrobe (wardrobe not fitted by me!) I want to extend the cable (using a 5 amp junction box) so that the switch can be located on the outside of the wardrobe (on a surface mounting box on the wood by the wardrobe door).

I know best practice is to re-route switch cable but getting into ceiling is difficult as another flat upstairs!

Sponsored Links
The junction box must be accessible and not buried, other than that if the cable is surface mounted sound okay, I would prefer it, if it was run in trunking though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back