back box not straight for plug socket - any ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the electrician has put a few ney plug sockets in the extended kitchen. thought today i would put the new BG Nexus sockets in and they are quite a tight fit - seem to have a bit more on the bacl of them than the normal white sockets. anyway one of the backboxes isnt very straight, when i put the socket in and tried to adjust it it's not enough to straighten the plug up. any tricks of the trade to sorting this out?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Has the box gone one adjustable screw lug?
If so, that will help for a start.

I assume we are talking about a metal box in a solid wall.
Is the wall tiled?
If not, you may be able to cut a small slot between the plaster and the edge of the box where the the box should go. Loosen or remove the screws or fixing that holds the box to the wall. Get a hammer and screwdriver and knock the box into position. Re-fix box. Any damage around the box will hopefully get covered with the faceplate.

If we are talking about a dry-line plastic flush box in a hollow wall you may be able to remove the box, cut the hole to allow the box to fit level, and pack any gaps with strips or wedges or something. Put box back, flanges should hold everything together.

If the walls are tiled, then you are going to have problems.

The obvious answer would be to get a range of sockets that have enough space at the back to allow for this issue. The 'flat' range of sockets generally have this problem, so try and go for something that's a more ordinary design.

remove the lug and drill and tap the back box with a 3mm/3.2mm drill bit and a 3.5mm tap. Check that there isnt a hole behind the lug 1st as some back boxes have them and then this method cant be used.

remove the lug and drill and tap the back box with a 3mm/3.2mm drill bit and a 3.5mm tap. Check that there isnt a hole behind the lug 1st as some back boxes have them and then this method cant be used.

Before you do any of that, offer the socket up to the box, and check first that the socket will fit in the box level.

Sponsored Links
sparkwright : its a metal 35mm box in a solid wall - no tiles etc just painted white wall.

i have already brought and installed 8 of these in the kitchen so cant take them back lol!

thanks both for your replies, i shall try you advice.

You can use a Dremel-type cutter to get a neat, crisp cut round the edge of the box. Perhaps you have one, or can borrow one.

the electrician has put a few ney plug sockets in the extended kitchen. thought today i would put the new BG Nexus sockets in and they are quite a tight fit - seem to have a bit more on the bacl of them than the normal white sockets.
According to the manufacturers technical specs the minimum box depth you need for those sockets is 25mm. Yours are 35mm. You just need to improve your cable dressing skills.

anyway one of the backboxes isnt very straight, when i put the socket in and tried to adjust it it's not enough to straighten the plug up. any tricks of the trade to sorting this out?
Yes - get the guy who did it wrong to come back and put it right. You paid him to do it - it's not down to you to rectify his cock-ups.

the electrician has put a few ney plug sockets in the extended kitchen. thought today i would put the new BG Nexus sockets in and they are quite a tight fit - seem to have a bit more on the bacl of them than the normal white sockets.
According to the manufacturers technical specs the minimum box depth you need for those sockets is 25mm. Yours are 35mm. You just need to improve your cable dressing skills.

anyway one of the backboxes isnt very straight, when i put the socket in and tried to adjust it it's not enough to straighten the plug up. any tricks of the trade to sorting this out?
Yes - get the guy who did it wrong to come back and put it right. You paid him to do it - it's not down to you to rectify his cock-ups.

From reading this thread, do you think the electrician actually exists?

ban-all-sheds";p="1749505 said:

I think the problem here with a tight fit is not to do with the cables and depth of the box,
but the fact once the socket faceplate fits against the box it is such as tight fit there is no room to tilt it.
In other words there is little space round the edges of the faceplate at the back to allow for any adjustment.

the sparky cant come back for 2 weeks as he is on holiday but I will leave him to do it as i cant be bothered and he was paid to do it in the first place.

I was looking at doing it myself as his been back 3 times now to move sockets that his installed too low and are hitting the skirting board.

forgive us if we don't believe you that the electrician exists at all.
we get the same "the sparky did a runner / is on holiday / broke his leg" etc etc, excuse on here at least once a week.
the sheer number of sparkies on holiday at any given time beggars belief..

I believe he exists. There are loads of electricians about causing this kind of mayhem, where an ordinary DIYer can clearly see the obvious faults.

Probably done by some young chap.

Or an old chap.

Is the problem with the skirting board because the new socket has a larger than average faceplate?

I believe he exists. There are loads of electricians about causing this kind of mayhem, where an ordinary DIYer can clearly see the obvious faults.

Probably done by some young chap.

Or an old chap.

Is the problem with the skirting board because the new socket has a larger than average faceplate?

Are middle aged chaps flawless, i look forward to being middle age in that case :D

Young people don't seem to know what they're doing.

Old people lose interest, have done it all before, and think because they've done it so many times they don't need to put the effort in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back