Dodgy wiring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Used the site ever since I bought a house where every thing I touch something falls off. Great advice, but i thought I'd post this one because it has me stumped and i can't find any info on it.

I have two landing lights control by two 2-way switches and an intermediate switch. I went to replace one of the 2-way switches and I noticed that one of the T&E cables had an unconnected black wire. I checked the other 2-way switch and it was the same. On both switches the red wire from the cable is in the common terminal.

I figured that the red wire connected to both commons in the 2-way switches and someone was just using the old cable with an extra wire - simple explanation but no, and I'm stumped...

The wiring goes as follows...

There are four cables in the ceiling rose.

1. The power comes from a junction box via T&E to the one of the ceiling roses (1). The red wire goes into the central 'loop-in' block, the black wire goes to the neutral.

2. Another T&E cable runs from this rose to the other rose (2). The red wire is in the loop-in terminal and the black wire is in the neutral terminal.

3/4. There are two other cables - each runs to one of the 2-way switches. However, only the red wire in each cabe is connected - in the ceiling rose (1) both wires are clamped together in the same 'line' terminal and in the switch they are in the common terminal. The black wire is teh unconnected wire mentioned above. The 2-way switches are connected to an intermediate switch by T&E.

I looked for diagrams and can't seem to find one for this configuration - it doesn't seem conventional, but is it safe? Should I just connect the new switch as it aready is connected or does a better way of doing it sound needed?

Any advice would be appreciated before my house burns down... :)

Sponsored Links
There are many, many ways to achieve 2 way switching.

Your method sounds perfectly acceptable.

However, it may pay to get the whole installation checked over in case of defects.

I second that advice - it sounds like the switches were wired by someone who had never heard of using the black core for the switched live, and with that level of ignorance you have to wonder what else he might have done...

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back