Telephone drop cable junction box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Decided to investigate an occasional slight problem with the BT line (brief drop out on the line. In order to proceed methodically, I figured I ought to improve the current arrangements where the BT drop line meets the house.

The drop cable enters the house (near a window frame) and is connected to what appears to be an old GPO 52A junction box. The cables from the jct box are then routed to the master box and extension line. The jct box is dangling and the wiring looks unreliable. It's been like that since we moved into the house, 20 years ago.

How should I proceed if I want to do this myself?

I spoke to BT and they said it would be 128 pounds just to take a look. They gave me an Openreach number to call also. Openreach told me to take a running jump..... :eek:

Basically, I need to know whether to replace the junction box and what to replace it with. I would also like to update all the wiring and boxes for the main phone and extension line. I reckon I am competent to do it. :rolleyes:

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks

Sponsored Links
What makes you think out of the 3 or 4 mile cable with many joints that the fault is inside your home?

I would disconnect your internal wiring, connect a phone to the master socket and see how you get on. If the fault persists, report it and get it repaired......FOR FREE.

Thanks for the reply.

Good point!
For brevity, I did not mention that I had already contacted BT. I plugged a corded phone into the master socket as per instructions and after a 40 minute call, there was no problem. This does not definitely mean that it is internal to my house, as the drop out is very intermittent.

However, I had naively hoped that BT would help me sort out the obvious suspect areas first in an attemp to nail the problem, but they turned out to be very weasely.

They want 128 pounds for a visit as a flat rate. Rules is rules etc etc. No compromise.

I just decided to apply the usual rule: if you want something doing, you might as well do it yourself because it will be quicker in the long run - and cheaper.

I had intended to get the wiring fixed up to an acceptable standard and then investigate further. I generally used a cordless and I was going to look for potential sources of interference.

One other clue: when I get the drop-outs, I hear nothing except a brief silence. the other party hears a beep! Any ideas? And about that junction box.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back