Domestic water pump - system design - please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new property and apparently the local water board promised mains pressure at 3 bar but in the event could manage only 2 bar.

So as to make the showers and megaflow system work, the builder installed a water pressure pump in the garage. Consequently each time the showers or taps are run, the pump kicks in once the level in the conatinment chamber (21 litres max) drops below a certain level.

The pump directs pressured water into a pipe that goes up through the garage ceiling to the upstairs taps/showers. Once a certain pressure is reacehd, there is a non reurn valve that cuts in.

the whole process makes the pipes vibrate and shudder with the noise being transmitted into the main "up" pipe and thus into the bedrooms.

All in all not a very good solution as it makes one bedroom almost unusable.

To compound matters, the pump is constantly breaking down resulting in either no pressure or pulsing as it fails to reach pressure.

I'm looking for a suitable consultant or plumbing adviser who can look at the whole system and advise me as to whether the solution I have is the only one available; could it be improved; are other solutions out there?

I have thought about moving the "up" pipe so that it goes through the garage wall, up the outside of the house and into the roof space that way. I worry however about freezing and other damage.

Becoming quite desperate now so any suggetsions welcome.

I live in east Hampshire so local advisers would be better.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
We like to work close to base so your town would be a good idea!

This should demonstrate that builders are not the best advosors on plumbing design.

Is this subject to litigation or claims against the builder?

Whats the output pressure of the pump? What type number?

Its not normal to pump directly from the mains. Has this been done?

Tony

Litigation - not yet although I've not ruled that out. We've been in the house 10 months and still in the snagging period. I may ahve to make a formal issue of it soon, but not just yet.

The pump is an Italian make - not sure of the model or number.

The pump settings mean that it cuts in when the pressure drops below 3 bar and brings the containment vessel up to 4.5 bar

As far as I can see, the mains are in the road outside the house with branches coming in for the three houses on site. Distance from the road to house say 50 metres. As far as I can see the mains feed goes to the roof tanks and only when water is drawn for showers etc does the pump come in. So I suppose not directly linked to mains.

Its unusual for problems like that from shower pumps.

The output from the pump therefore feeds the megaflow cylinder.

Can you post a picture of the pump and of the Megaflow to show its water connections?

Tony

Sponsored Links
I'll get some pics tonight.

The pump is boxed in (to cut down noise - doesn't work) so I'll have to get the spec from the guy fitting the new one this afternoon. (Assuming he turns up).

I do know that the megaflow is a "two tier" system rather than a more up to date triple or quad. Does that make a difference?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back