How do i stop a leaking exterior pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have an outhouse in our garden with an old unused toilet in there. The problem i have with it is that the water pipe to the toilet is leaking and I don't know how to stop it.

To explain, the pipe comes up out of the concrete floor for about 6 inches, then there is stopcock, and then 6 inches up there is a hose tap fitted. The remainder of the pipe carries on up to the toilet cistern. The problem lies with the stopcock and the hose tap. The stopcock is rusted over and cannot move, and the connector nut from the hose tap to the pipe is where the leak has occured as the pipe must have been bent or loosened a little when i tried to stupidly force the stopcock closed.

I did consider heating up the stopcock to try and loosen it so i can shut the water off, but can't see how i'd do that as the leaking pipe is covering the stopcock with water so no heat could be generated. I can't tighten the connector nut to the pipe from the hose tap as every time i've tried to I end up pulling the pipe when trying to turn the nut and i'm worried i might split or even break the pipe completely.

Any ideas how to stop it?

Cheers,
JR

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
are you trying to get rid of this pipe? I'm going to guess its lead because they used that alot in the "old days" lol. turning the water off from the toby (wee cover on street outside your house with a W on it) should stop it, then fix the leak or cap the pipe..

scrape it with a knife :idea:

what color is it :?:

methinks it may be lead :eek:

Not at home at the minute to check what material it is. Does it make a difference whether it's lead or copper? All I want to do is either stop the leak or cap it off completely.

are you trying to get rid of this pipe? I'm going to guess its lead because they used that alot in the "old days" lol. turning the water off from the toby (wee cover on street outside your house with a W on it) should stop it, then fix the leak or cap the pipe..

Will I need at tool to turn it off here?

really depends how deep its buried

images

if its deep

:idea:

Silly question, but by turning this off will it only turn off the water to my property? Just had a quick look on google maps at my house and the water main seems to be inbetween my and next doors house. Does every house have their own one?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back