Help needed - Optima G3 playing up!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an old alarm system in the house, the panel is an Optima G3. Tonight the alarm box outside went off, no indication as to why on the panel. It wouldn't turn off by entering our code and so we've had to disconnect the alarm box. The system seems 'ok' apart from none of the sensors are working and I've no idea why - they've not been touched and were working ok earlier today. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!! If you can explain in very simple words it would be a great help - I don't really understand anything about how the system works!!

Sponsored Links
You need to check the internal fuses - the little glass ones. Check the battery too.

Hi

Thanks for your post - I can't see any fuses. The panel we have is an Optima compact G3. Where would the fuses be?

I've ordered a new battery so hopefully that will help!

Sponsored Links
Thanks again - I'll print this off and take a look in the panel.

Appreciate your help - not so fussed about the lack of dolly birds though being a female DIY-er :LOL:

I've replaced the battery inside the panel and also one of the fuses had blown but the sensors are still not working. Any other ideas as to why this might be? Nothing has happened to them (eg the wiring hasn't been touched, not have any of the sensors). Help!!

Change the aux fuse even if you think it is ok. Do you have a test meter?

Hi

Thanks - I've changed all 3 fuses - two in the alarm panel box and the external one. I've only got a small voltage tester (looks like a screwdriver) - would that be ok?

Thanks

no it wont!!

you need a proper test meter,

you will be looking for between 12vdc and 13.8vdc across the + and - feeding the sensors.

if you have not got 12vdc there you have a problem.

come back after you have checked the voltage

John

I bought a test meter and the new battery is fine. Sensors still not working though which is a mystery as the wiring hasn't been touched or moved. The alarm box outside is disconnected because it wouldn't stop by entering our code on the panel - could it have been that the battery in that needs replacing and that's upset the system?

Set your meter to 20v dc and test across the Aux power where the sensors are connected. Should read about 13.8 volts.

BTW your meter won't give any indication as to the condition of the battery.

Thanks - by aux power do you mean the place where the small wires for the sensors are attached in to the panel? Sorry, this is all foreign to me so I want to make sure that I'm testing the right thing!

I replaced both fuses again just to make sure they were ok - couldn't get quick blow so used slow blow.

After I'd changed the fuses I tested the sensors - they registered around 4.46v on each zone.

The sensors came back to life shortly after the fuses were changed, worked for a few hours and then stopped. When I took the front of the panel off the fuse for the strobe/bell had blown again. Does this indicate a fault with the outside box/battery?

The battery is disconnected from the sounder but I'm not sure if the battery is disconnected from the system - a neighbour got someone to come round when the alarm was going but we haven't got a long ladder to get back up to the box to see what is connected and what isn't.

Disconnect the wires to the sensor 12+ and the 12v+ to the siren. Then check your voltages again. If they are still low, disconnect the battery and check the voltage at the Aux again. If it doesn't show around 13.8 volts the voltage regulator has died and you'll need a new panel. If the voltage is good - then reconnect the sensor wire and check again. If that's still OK the reconnect the siren and check the voltage again. If it drags low your problem is up top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back