combi boiler pilot light goes off with hotwater only?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m going to change my boiler when I get a new kitchen – in about 3 months time. However my bolier is playing up and am looking for some advice to make it survive a few more months (without having to pay a corgi guy to fix it preferably)!

The make is a potterton puma 80 combi boiler.
The problem is that the pilot light goes out when using the hotwater only. (for CH it will fire up then go back to pilot as it should)
So, I relight the pilot flame. Turn on the hot tap and the boiler fires up. When I turn off the tap, the boiler remains fired for 30seconds odd but there is a sound which is like a pipe or tank filling with water. This noise stops and then the pilot clicks off (pilot goes out with a click sound – like a switch). And that’s it – everytime I want to use hotwater I have to relight the pilot and I get 1bout of hot water before repeating.

Does anyone have any ideas what could fix this?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
thanks kev, that was quick!

any tips on changing this? is it possible for a decent diy'er?

also, any tips on where to get such a part?

thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm going to go with faulty gas valve/thermocouple..
the click you speak of will be the gas valve shutting

but I could be wrong.. let us know when you get it sorted mate what it was.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back