Wiring a geyser electric towel rail to socket on landing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks, please can I have some advice?
I want to wire a towel rail rated 200w to a double socket on landing by:
Fitting the towel rail in a safe zone in bathroom.
Connecting to switched FCU mounted to a single box near rail.
Single box routed through wall into sm. conduit.
Connected into double socket on landing.

What the best wat to connect wire from conduit to double socket?

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
any particular reason for using surface mount conduit on the landing?

That circuit MUST be RCD protected. Is it?

If not you'll need an RCD spur instead of the switched FCU.

Oh, by the way. This is notifiable work. You'll need to notify the local authority (and pay some £££) before you start work.

Hi All,

The upstairs ring is protected by a 30A RCD, I intend to spur off from it.

The route where the wire goes is tricky to route through the floors, also I want to minimise mess.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The upstairs ring is protected by a 30A RCD
I doubt it!

I think you are getting confused. RCD's are rated in milliamps (mA) they trip in the event of an earth fault.

On the otherhand, MCB's are rated in Amps (A) they trip in the event of an overload.

If the circuit is rated at 30amps then it is unlikely to be RCD protected.
Send us a picture of your consumer unit/fuseboard

Avoid the switched FCU in the bathroom - from the towel rail go to a flex outlet, from the flex outlet through the wall to the landing into your switched FCU, then connect to the ring main at the socket (once the business about the RCD has been resolved).

PJ

Great advice many thanks. The consumer unit is protected by a 30mA RCD. I will connect the rad to a flex outlet then through the wall into a switched FCU on the landing, and then run through about 2m of SM. conduit and wired into the ring main at the socket.

I get my mate round who is NICEIC approved to check it all out before it goes live.

If he really was a mate you would not be asking him to lie for you on official documentation.

Thanks, I will talk to him first. At least I have an idea what's involved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back