Replacement Coaxial TV Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In trying to reduce the interference I sometimes I recieve with my freeview box, I have replaced my cabling and now want to replace the TV socket.

I live in a flat, and the existing socket would appear to be a spur off a ring. ie when I look in the backbox there are two cables attached to two connectors on the socket - one labelled in, the other out.

I am struggling to find a suitable replacement socket. Ideally I would like one with an FM output on it and I would prefer the sockets to be pointing downwards (akin to the MK K3522 WHI).

Can anyone suggest a suitable part or should I go for the K3522 and try and wire both cables into one connector ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
NO.

TV aerials are not wired on a ring.

What you probably have is a tap-off system. This has one cable running from flat to flat, at each flat a small portion of the signal is tapped off to the outlet.

The value of the tap-off varies depending on the signal level of the system and the number of taps on the cable.

If you replace with an 'ordinary' socket you will almost certainly bggr up the reception for everyone 'downstream' of your flat and possibly face a bill from the landlord / factor / whoever does the common services.

Is there a part number or other identification marks on the rear of the existing socket?

OK. my mistake for assuming a ring. It'll be a tap off system with a powered distribution system - when the power was out to the communal areas the other day, I had no TV signal.

No obvious markings on the backplate. There's the manufacturers name - Antiference, a very difficult to read date (1 Jul 73 I think) and a little sticker with the numbers 814 8.

Had a look at the Anitference website. I'm guessing that something like the SW710UV could work but, i know v little about distributed systems.

OK. my mistake for assuming a ring. It'll be a tap off system with a powered distribution system - when the power was out to the communal areas the other day, I had no TV signal.

No obvious markings on the backplate. There's the manufacturers name - Antiference, a very difficult to read date (1 Jul 73 I think) and a little sticker with the numbers 814 8.

Had a look at the Anitference website. I'm guessing that something like the SW710UV could work but, i know v little about distributed systems.

If it's a tap off system you'll need a tap off outlet faceplate, which I don't think that one is. You coudl email antiference and ask if they can suggest a modern equivalent.

Sponsored Links
Hi, did you find a part that fixed this? I have a similar problem, the signal to my flat has gone very weak. Its a tap-off set up like you describe - the flat management company have said that someone has probably decorated and replaced their outlet with a new one, screwing up the rest of the loop.

They'll try to resolve it but this could take some time and I have tenants moving in soon. Do you have any advice from your experience, suggestions for an alternative (maybe temporary) solution? thanks!

Hi, did you find a part that fixed this? I have a similar problem, the signal to my flat has gone very weak. Its a tap-off set up like you describe - the flat management company have said that someone has probably decorated and replaced their outlet with a new one, screwing up the rest of the loop.

They'll try to resolve it but this could take some time and I have tenants moving in soon. Do you have any advice from your experience, suggestions for an alternative (maybe temporary) solution? thanks!

You'll probably need to replace the offending outlet in the other flat; I don't think anything you do in your flat will help.

Temporary Sky dish on the balcony?

Does anyone know where in the UK I can buy a replacement tap-off coaxial socket? My socket is broken inside, some heavy-handed former tenant pushed the plug through the socket innerds and bu--ered the thing up. Unfortunately there are two downstream users so I cannot replace it with an ordinary socket.

It is marked inside with the code C1436 but no manufacturers marking. Any help or advice welcome as my temporary rig of silver paper and chewing gum is not holding out too well....

Coming back to this post after a while.

I did manage to find some companies manufacturing likely replacement parts. There's Gira (in Germany), Polytron broadband systems and hirschmann (in Germany). All found by spending time using google. Search for MATV throughpass sockets, MATV outlets etc

Struggled to find a uk supplier, but did find some hirschmann GEDU 10 & GEDU 15 (10dB, 15dB attenuation throughpass sockets, TV / FM) on amazon uk for about £16 - £24. Haven't placed an order as my problem seems to have cleared up for now, and although I found a seller selling the socket, I couldn't seem to find the faceplate to go with it (want polished chrome)....

I'll come back to it when I get round to replacing all the sockets in my flat.

Do you have any other aerial sockets within your flat?

Before you're scared too far into believing that your aerial socket may well be supplying the downfeed to the other flats, consider that the 'Out' stretch of cable may only be supplying another aerial socket within a bedroom within your flat, for example.

If you have other sockets, unscrew it from the wall and see whether it too has an 'In/Out' layout, or whether it terminates there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back