How Important Is A Power Flush?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

Looks like I'll be getting a combi fitted shortly to replace my 35 year old boiler. I've been advised on some quotes that I need to have the system power-flushed (if that was the right phrase) but other plumbers just said that as long as they put in the magnetic filter thing to catch all the crap it's not necessary to flush out the system.

It's a lot of money to spend on a boiler and I want to make sure that I do everything it can to have a long as possible life but I'd rather not pay for something that's not necessary.

What do you all think? Magnetic crap catcher and system flush essential?

Sponsored Links
35 year old system
Probably a feed and expansion tank that has no lid...
Full of droppings..bits of straw....bones....slime....dust and general roof crap....
Ancient back boiler? heat exchanger particles floating around the system....sludge.....and general crap picked up from the f&e tank.....

Old radiators?...showing any rust?....if its on the outside its probably going to be on the inside....

So fit the new boiler and hope the magnetic filter catches everything before it gets to your new boiler......

I know what i would do for the extra couple hundred quid.....

Here we go again is right :) always fit a carp catcher anyway power flushed or not , the problem you might have if you do not flush it is from the manu' of the boiler , regarding warrantys , most if not all will use any excuse to weasel out of any claim .

(And just because I feel the need I will add )Like Biasi UK ,my favorite manu ,( maybe ? alledgedly ? possibly ?)

(Are you well Grenville ?)

Sponsored Links
Recent, closed systems, usually don't need a PF, but some do.

Older, open ones are VERY likely to need one though. Sometimes for some weird reason they're spotless.
If in doubt, drain a rad and look at the water.

Back to the original question...

Certainly on a 35 year old system I would get it powerflushed - as you said, you're spending a lot of money. Have new radiator valves fitted if there's any doubt about the water-tightness of the existing valves.

Get a good quality boiler, and have one with integral weather compensation and timing. You will save a packet on gas bills.

I agree with everyone else mate, get the system flushed with out a doubt all the crap in a 35 year old system will just rot a brand new combi no problem.
And install a crap catcher at the same time as the combi install.
I have a magnaclean on my system, some people say they are rubbish but i think it's quite good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back