faulty electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone diagnose the fault?
I have a Bristan B85 electric shower. Ever since I purchased (about 3 years ago) it often cut out a few seconds after switching on, but functioned perfectly well after restarting it.
Just recently, however, it began to cut out after 3 or 4 minutes and sometimes after a few seconds but keeps cutting out a few seconds after switching on again. The water remains hot and the water pressure light shows. I have just tried it again and it run as normal for about 3 minutes before cutting out.

Sponsored Links
if your getting a loss of water flow and the L/P neon comes on then
i would be suspecting the solenoid coil which is located at the bottom behind the outlet pipe.

Thank you seco services.
I took off the cover, lowered the shower head so it would not spray up anywhere near the unit, then pressed the turn on switch. It worked for several minutes, then shut down as usual. I noticed the solenoid switch operate. Does this suggest that it is working as it should, but something else is happening to make it switch off- perhaps the unit has built up calcium carbonate causing overheating. I am in a moderately hard water areas. It this a possible reason?

do you have a multi meter ?

overheat won't stop waterflow or a LP neon, only a solenoid.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again, Seco services.
What I don't understand is why the shower functions for a few minutes before it cuts out. My previous electric shower (which I replaced for this one) lasted several years. When it went wrong - I was told it was the solenoid- I could not get any water flow. This one works for a while before it cuts out.
Considering the Brisban B85 is quite expensive, I thought it would last much longer than the 2 or 3 years I have had it.
I don't understand why the solenoid functions for several minutes before it cuts out. I would have thought that either it works or it doesn't.
I have been told the problem is the hard water, but if so, how does it affect the solenoid?

Thanks again, Seco services.
What I don't understand is why the shower functions for a few minutes before it cuts out.
quite common for a solenoid coil to function that way when on it's last legs.
Considering the Brisban B85 is quite expensive, I thought it would last much longer than the 2 or 3 years I have had it.
i've fitted many showers some only last the warranty some are still going strong 10 yrs later.
I don't understand why the solenoid functions for several minutes before it cuts out. I would have thought that either it works or it doesn't.
some fail altogether some operate for a few mins then fail and work again later for a further few mins.
test with a multi meter is the only way to prove it.
but 100% guarentee a new coil will sort the issue.
I have been told the problem is the hard water, but if so, how does it affect the solenoid?

it don't the solenoid is electrical has no contact with water.
so a load of bull. who ever told you that useally someone who has not a clue how electric showers work. :rolleyes:

do you have a multi meter ?

overheat won't stop waterflow or a LP neon, only a solenoid.

I'm having issues with mine too.
Got Low Pressure light on and get a sort of pulsing banding noise.

What tests do you do using a multimeter?

Thanks,
shr.

you can test the solenoid coil.
set meter to ohms take reading.

make sure showers main power is isolated.

you can test the solenoid coil.
set meter to ohms take reading.

make sure showers main power is isolated.

What sort of readings should I expect?
Does the banging mean the solenoid is bouncing?

Assuming its at fault, how easy is it to replace?

can be.
can be water pressure.
does it do it all the time ?
is the shower flow from head pulsing ?
Not experienced it myself. It's at my mums house so will go over and investigate.

Think she said it doesn't bang anymore but no water coming out now.
And low pressure light is on.

Still thinking solenoid or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Yes i'd be suspecting solenoid coil.

one thing they changed on this shower when obtaining a solenoid coil it also comes with the pcb.

Yes i'd be suspecting solenoid coil.

one thing they changed on this shower when obtaining a solenoid coil it also comes with the pcb.

So does that make it harder to replace?
Do you change the whole lot or just the coil?

Just checked we need to know if its the mk 2 or 3.
if you can take an internal pic of shower.
take note of the pcb.

mk2 pcb sits flat
mk3 pcb sits in sideways.

mk 2 is now an obselete part ie pcb/solenoid.
mk 3 is still available.

They do say if its the mk2 you can take a chance and fit just the solenoid coil which retail about £10
and see if it works as the complete kit pcb/solenoid are obselete.

Don't know why they stated the pcb must be changed when the coil failed
as this is the only shower you need to change both, unless they upgraded the pcb.

No idea if mk 2 or 3. Will have a look this weekend.

According to Bristan website, replacement solenoid is about 17 pounds delivered. (which is cheaper than eBay etc.)
But there aren't any images so can't tell what you're getting. Also doesn't mention mk 2 or 3.

Should I just go ahead and order one ahead of visit to my mums? Lives 80 miles away so don't get over there very often.

Or do you know of a cheaper place to get them?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back