Installing electric oven - another thread on this...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have had a look around the forum for answers on this. I feel fairly confident I know the answer already, but would really appreciate an opinion from somebody more experienced. Apologies for the long post, but am trying to answer any queries in advance.

We have moved into a house, and the oven has packed in. So I have ordered a replacement.

The existing oven and hob are connected into the same circuit with, apparently, no other sockets on the same circuit to take small appliances. The hob (which we are keeping) is rated at 6kW. The oven is devoid of anything which will let me identify it, and hence its rating.

The hob is connected into a wall mounted socket via a fairly thick cable - possibly 10mm externail diameter. A 3-pin socket next to it has the oven plugged into it. Both are switched off via an isolator switch next to the hob.

At our fusebox there is a separate circuit breaker marked for 'cooker' which does indeed turn the red-light out on the isolator switch when turned off. There is no marking on the circuit breaker as to its rating.

So, the nub. I have ordered a new single oven rated at 2.07kW - bought from John Lewis who say on their website that no connection cable is supplied. Can I simply connect the oven to a plug with a 13amp fuse using heat resistant cable and plug it in?

Thanks for any advice.

Keith

Sponsored Links
The breaker must have some marks on it, please post a decent close up and we will try to sort that out for you.

In principle everything you suggest sounds fine, but it would be prudent to know the oven make, size, model and then check the makers web site for an indication of kw size.

I'd guess either a 6mm or (maybe) a 10mm cable back to the board, with a fuse of 30 or 40 amp.

Here's the cable sizes, you should measure yours and confirm size

2.5mm² 10.3mm x 6mm

4mm² 11.9mm x 6.25mm

6mm² 13.5mm x 7mm

10mm² 17.1mm x 10mm

If we work on the 30 amp then 30 x 230v = 6.9kw, 40 amp = 9.2kw

Then consider diversity
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=147641[/quote]

Aha!

Went and took a photo of the breaker (after fighting past shoes and coats). The breaker with the cooker on it is marked with 'B40' (others marked B32 and B6 etc). I assume this is the rating - i.e. 40A?

Unfortuntely having had the cooker out of it's housing there is no information anywhere on it - inside or out. It's made by Candy - that's all I know!

Thanks for the response - from your message, and assuming it is in fact on a 40A circuit, then it looks fine to install the oven? THe new rating of 2.07kW sounds fairly low relative to most single ovens - or is this a mistaken assumption?

Thanks

Keith

Sponsored Links
Legally can we install an electric oven ourselves or do we have to be a qualified electrician. Buying a new cooker to replace an existing one? I have been told that if there were a fire and the problem was from the cooker wiring, if not installed by a qualified electrician the insurance company wouldnt pay out !!!!! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back