best way to treat old rafters for garden building

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got some old chunky rafters which i am planning to use to build a raised platform / treehouse for the kids.

Any suggestions what is the best way to treat this timber for a long outdoor life ?

Sponsored Links
Hi, i'm a DIYer, not a pro, but like to try and enliven posts without a response..

'Chunky rafters' sounds like a decent piece of timber... so if they're not rotten or riddled with woodworm, then just go to B&Q or Wickes and get a wood preserver (not stain)... and treat them regularly... they should last years....

I would sand it a bit to avoid splinters.

I like Cuprinol Green spirit-based preserver. Apply at least three coats to clean dry timber after you have done any cutting, drilling or planing, per the instructions (wet on wet). If you treat it before assembly it will be easier to coat hidden parts and downward-facing surfaces. End-grain can be dipped in a tub. Timbers in contact with the ground need to be dipped, I forget the soaking time but it is on the can. Knots, cracks and shakes need to be very well treated, as this is where water gets in and rot starts.

At this time of year it will take a week or two to dry. Leave it in a well-ventilated place out of the rain, preferably exposed to sun. Be sure it has dried before you let kids touch it as it irritates the skin, and especially eyes, and smells a bit, until it has dried.

Once it is dry you can use a shed-and-fence stain which leaves a waxy water repellent film of any colour you like. If the preservative solvent has not dried, water-based stain will not stick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back