Flue pipe creeping upwards, now big gap between flue/fire???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,
I have a woodburner and a 8" single skin s/s flue pipe going all the way up to the top of the house.
As the fire in the woodburner cools the flue pipe creeps upwards at the connection between the woodburner and the flue pipe. Once it's cold there is a 1" gap between the top of the woodburner and the bottom of the flue pipe, So the smoke just comes out to the room.
I've done something wrong or not fitted something but don't know what.

There is a cast collar that is part of the woodburner and it has a re bait of 15mm to take the flue pipe. I have put 1 length of s/s pipe into this re-bait and then fire cement around the joint.
Then between the top of this pipe and the bottom of the pipe that comes down from the roof there is a gap of 6". Here I have a joiner piece that tightens up on both pipes with collars and bolts. Somehow the bottom pipe creeps up into the collar when the pipe cools.
Any Ideas please????
Is there supposed to be a collar at the top of the woodburner that has screws in it to mechanically fix the the flue and the woodburner together ??
I,m stuck on a solution.
Thank you in advance for any help. Hope I've posted in the right department.
Regards, Mark.

Sponsored Links
Hi Chums,
nobody has an answer, could anyone direct me somewhere that I could find this info please. I'm stuck.
Cheers Chums.
Mark

Try www.hetas.co.uk the website for the Solid fuel advisory service, they might be better placed to help. Meanwhile you would be best advised not to use the woodburner until its sorted.

Sponsored Links
Hi Hugh,
Thank you very much for the info, much appreciated.
We have 2 c/m detectors on and are pulling the flue back down every day at the moment but thank you for your the advice. I need to get it sorted fast.
Regards,
Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back