Uponor Underfloor heating insulation question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I am planning to complete a 4 zone UFH system which was partially installed by a builder before he went belly up. The question I have concerns the insulation that I will install under the heat spreader plates.

We have a concrete slab on which we have installed 45x45mm battens at 400mm intervals. ( room is 8x4m). We install the heat spreader plates onto the battens which in turn carry the hot water pipe. The floor boards then sit on top of everything and are fixed to the battens.

My original plan was to install standard 100mm loft insulation under the spreader plates. I would squash this down to fill the 45mm air gap. It is critical to completely fill the air gap under the spreader plates according to uponor.

I then started looking at other ideas to increase the level of insulation

One idea is to install a 6mm layer of insulation as a bottom layer. There is no way I can afford something like triso sols

http://www.triiso.co.uk/

so I would use something like SFBA 2/2 ( ebay it ) which is a 6mm bubblewrap style layer coated with 2 layers of aluminium ( reflective ) or similar. I would then use the loft insulation on top of this.

The other idea would be to install 25mm kingspan onto the concrete and again fill the remaining gap with loft insulation ( may have to split the roll thinkness )

So there are the 3 ideas I've had. What do you think ? Would the kingspan out-perform the other options ? Would simple loft insualtion probably be enough ?

Thanks in advance

wert.

Sponsored Links
Me again.

Just been looking on ebay and there are quite a few 6mm bubblewrap type products.

SFBA 2/2
ALREFLEX 2L2

I know my previous post is a bit long winded. I guess I'm asking what would be better 25mm kingspan or 6mm ALREFLEX ( remaining gap filled with mineral wool )

Anyone got any ideas on this ?

I wanted to order it for delivery by the weekend when I'll start.

Any comments welcome. Let me know if you need any more details.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back