Combi boiler burner keeps coming on and off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
got a Halstead combi 102 combination boiler and when you switch the hot water on the burner comes on and off intimitantly which in turn is only giving us luke warm water. When you switch it to heating it stays on but then when you turn the water on again same thing happens

the pressure is good on the boiler am i right in saying it could be the hot water switch that is faulty?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Don't know the boiler particuarly well, but sounds like a DHW thermistor fault to me.

Hopefully, someone else here knows the appliance better than i do.

Martin

Sponsored Links
A thermistor do temperature sensing as in THERMal resISTOR.

so would it be turning the burner off then because its malfunctioning and telling the boiler its overheating??

Hi

a thermistor works based on resistance. the higher the temp of the water the greater the resistance across the thermistor, thus modulating the burner down to maintain a constant temp.

In essence the thermistor resistance could be higher than it should be, in effect telling the boiler that the water is at the correct temp, or higher and shutting the burner down, when it shouldn't....

That is basically how it works.

Martin

Hi Halstead boilers are generally the lower end of the market quality wise and are a fav of the landlord.
The DHW thermistor is a common fault and is also a cheap part to replace first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back