Hot water supply

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi all,

My hot water supply is not great, its fine if I use the immersion heater but my heating doesn't do much to heat hot water. Its a trade off I know, open the valve on the Hot Water Cylinder and there is more hot water, but less heat in the radiators, and the reverse if I "close" the valve (you never close it completely).

I am installing TRV's on all my radiators soon to better control the heat being delivered to each room. This should in theory make more heat available to the hot water boiler, _but_ the value on the Cylinder is static so the same amount heat is going to make it to Cylinder .

What I really want is system whereby the rooms are heated until they reach their optimal temperature, at which point the TRV's will gradually close off and the valve on the Cylinder will automatically open to allow more hot water into it.

Is this achieveable without spending £1000's

Sponsored Links
There is something wrong with your system. Has it always been thus? You might just need an experienced guiy to work out what is wrong.

It does sound as if your system is not performing as well as you should expect.

It may be the boiler is a little underpowered or may just need balancing.

It sounds as if you dont have proper controls on your system.

Fitting proper motor valves should enable the boiler to heat up the cylinder and then that would be shut off and all the heat directed to the rads.

For a professional to fit the correct controls might be about £300 and TRVs about £20-£50 per rad.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back