DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Tips for plasterboarding ceiling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plastering and Rendering
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
ilikewatchingtv

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:35 am Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm about to embark on a project to pull down my existing lath and plaster ceiling and replace with plasterboard, prior to having it professionally skimmed.

I plan to use 12.5mm square edged boards, and would be grateful if anyone could advise on the following:

1) Should the boards be laid with the long edge across, or along the joists?
2) Do all edges need supporting? (i.e - will I have to fix noggins between the joists along each unsupported edge?)
3) I've received conflicting info about what length of screw to use - some people have suggested 38mm, some have said not to use anything shorter than 50mm - who's correct?

Thanks for any advice!
Dave.
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
Rusty10

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:50 am Reply with quote

Hi

See here http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1680235#1680235 as I answered something similar to this and there is some good info icon_biggrin.gif
 Alert Moderators
Richard C

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:18 pm Reply with quote

ilikewatchingtv wrote:

pull down my existing lath and plaster ceiling and replace with plasterboard, prior to having it professionally skimmed.

It is best to do rip it down but a very messy job, sometimes itís easier just top overboard if itís not completely falling down.

ilikewatchingtv wrote:

I plan to use 12.5mm square edged boards

Yes but use full size boards not small DIY ones; more joints = more chance of cracks.

ilikewatchingtv wrote:

1) Should the boards be laid with the long edge across, or along the joists?

Yes, board across the joists & stagger the boards to avoid cracks.
ilikewatchingtv wrote:

2) Do all edges need supporting? (i.e - will I have to fix noggins between the joists along each unsupported edge?)

As long as your joist spacing is no greater than 450mm & your skimming, it'll be fine. Noggins are recommended for tape & fill but you don't want to be doing that, have it skimmed. Strictly speaking, you should have noggins to support the two unsupported perimeter edges but it should be OK with joist spacing no greater than 450mm.
ilikewatchingtv wrote:

3) I've received conflicting info about what length of screw to use - some people have suggested 38mm, some have said not to use anything shorter than 50mm - who's correct?

If it's just 12.5mm PB & into the joists then 38mm is more than sufficient; BG recommend minimum 15mm thread into he joist so 12.5 + 15 = 27.5mm so 38mm is enough, itís all I use but you can use longer if you feel more comfortable; fix every 150-200mm max.

This is the British Gypsum boarding guide;
http://www.british-gypsum.com/pdf/SB07_Timber%20joist_02.pdf
Itís not working at the moment though as their website seems to be down icon_rolleyes.gif
 Alert Moderators
ilikewatchingtv

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:23 am Reply with quote

Thanks to both of you, - some really good info there, should make the job a lot easier (though sadly won't make it any less messy!)
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plastering and Rendering All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: