Finishing wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I\\\'m hoping someone in this forum has experience of what happens after the wiring is done... I\\\'ve chased out the plaster from floor to ceiling in a channel, put my wiring in capping and am ready to plaster back up. Does anyone know if I should plaster fully up with base coat or do plasterers really leave a couple of mm and skim in the top?

Sponsored Links
I'm not a pro plasterer so if they reply with different advice I would take theirs.

I assume that you have channeled out your wiring runs and have sound skim each side of the channel. Wet the channel and apply a backing coat. I would use browning and rule off with the side of the trowel so it is flush. Then smooth the backing carefully. A small plasterers touching-in tool is good for this. This should bring it slightly below the surface of the surrounding skim. Let this go off a bit until it starts to firm up. Then use the corner of the trowel and bevel the edges so there is about 2mm depth on the edge. Then skim over this. Use a wet brush to keep the new plaster off the existing and you should get a perfect finish.

I only use filler on small repairs as I never get good results on larger areas. I find taking the trouble with some multi finish is always better.

Sponsored Links
do like porker says also pva 5-1 up the sides you will find it blends in easier and doesnt suck in straight away, it will also need two coats of paint to cover the pva but its worth it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back