Protective film needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm renovating a house and the new windows need to be installed before the render is removed and redone.

I need some sticky thick-ish protective film that I can cover the whole of the window (glass included) with to stop the render overspray and other bits of muck damaging the window.

There is going to be about a 6month gap till the render is done so I don't want the film to adhere to the glass/frame like glue! I want to be able to peel it off well.

Any ideas? Cheers

Sponsored Links
First thing that springs to mind is Fablon but im guessing it'll be expensive and don't know if after 6 months it'll come off easy. If light isn't an issue then what about thin ply for the bulk and duct tape around the edges, again pvc cleaner will be req'd to get glue off unless it has welded it self to the frame, i'd hate to say what would work as i've seen plenty of protective tape left on for this very same reason and it will not come off if left for any amount of time..........as im sure you very well know being in the pvc game.

yeah mate thats what i'm worried about, if it was white PVCu then i've got oodles of solvent cleaner but its all Light Oak. Get solvent on that and you never know what could happen.

Also it's going onto 4 giant Bi-fold doors and I know my budget will run out once they're fitted and i'll have to save up for the render so the film could be attached for at least 8 weeks, on a south facing part of the house.

Perhaps, a few layers of clear polythene and masking tape is my safest bet then. S'gotta be clear so the plasterers can see what they're doing!

Sponsored Links
Ah light oak hmmm! I wouldn't trust any tape to come off after 8 weeks, like you say if it DID leave a residue you can't use solvent to clean it, it'll have the colour out in minutes :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back