Hot Radiator in Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently plumped in a new cold water storage tank and expansion tank in my loft but have kept the pipe layout to the same configuration although the pipes would have increased a little in distance due to me moving the tanks position in the loft.
I have bled the rads (only have 4 conected at the moment) and are working fine except utility room which has a stubborn airlock at the moment.
When I just want hot water I have noticed the towel rad in the bathroom heats up. I checked the pipework near the diverter and noticed that both pipes were hot (heating and hot water) even though I am only calling for hot water.
The rad in the bathroom is the nearest rad to the the boiler and if the rad on the landing was connected this would also be as they are tee'd off the same pipe.
I have not touched any of the pipe layout in the airing cupboard where the pump and diverter are only what was in the loft.
Could it be that I require a new diverter? Would like to know if there could be another issue before I shell out for a new one? Any suggestions welcome.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure they have not been piped up to come on with the hot water. It's not uncommon!

Is the pipework leading to the towel rail 'teed off' on the flow pipe (coming from the boiler) BEFORE the motovised valve?

sounds like the valve is passing to ch.
could be crud in the port stopping it closing fully, valve getting stiff, or spring weak.

what valve is it make/model ?

Are you sure they have not been piped up to come on with the hot water. It's not uncommon!

Is the pipework leading to the towel rail 'teed off' on the flow pipe (coming from the boiler) BEFORE the motovised valve?

I checked the pipework near the diverter and noticed that both pipes were hot (heating and hot water) even though I am only calling for hot water.

Sponsored Links
I just find it odd that only one radiator is getting hot, the one which alot of plumbers connect on before the motovised valve therefore allowing it to come on with the hot water.

Coincidence? ..Maybe?

Are the 2 pipes coming of the moto valve the same temperature or could it just be passive heat?

I just find it odd that only one radiator is getting hot,

if the rad on the landing was connected this would also be as they are tee'd off the same pipe.

i very much doubt they would connect the landing one aswell before the valve.

Not too sure on make and model as the top is facing the tank and unless I was a pinhead I cant get to see the label.
I have had my floor boards up when I was doing the re-wiring and have seen the layout of the pipes and can confirm that the bathroom and landing rad tee off from the pipework which is connected to the other rads so it is after the pump and diverter.
I have read previous posts that stated that the bathroom rads use to plumbed like this.
It does not get piping hot unless I am actually calling for heat and then its fine.
The pipe for the central heating after is the same temperature as the pipe going into the tank to heat the hot water, but as I said by the time it gets to the rad its not as hot.
I am wandering if this is because the boiler is not on long enough to get the rad very hot?
Thanks for your replies so far.

Now I know that the pipework is fine, I shall agree with Seco and say the chances are that your motovised valve is faulty (letting by).

:rolleyes:

Thought this might be the case but thought I would ask just incase there could be another solution without having to buy anything!!!
How much do they normally cost?
Many thanks for the reponses.
How come people are up so late on this kind of site??!!!!!

How much do they normally cost?
depends if you buy the complete valve or just the actuator
depending on whats at fault and what make you have or fit.
can be anything from £30 - £70

How come people are up so late on this kind of site??!!!!!

cause we don't have to start work before breakfast. :LOL:

Know its been a while since i posted this but got round to changing the diverter and all is tickerty boo now.
I also changed the pump while I was there, probably didnt need to but didnt know how old it was plus I have done a lot of soldering on the pipe layout and it sounded quite noisy. Bought like for like and runs nice and quiet now.
Thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back