Wiring a 2-Gang Light Switch for 2 Separate Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having trouble wiring a replacement 2-gang switch in my kitchen. Any help would be much appreciated!

I need 2 separate lights working independently. Left hand cable (see photo) goes to ceiling lights (red, blue, yellow, earth) and right hand cable goes to under cabinet lighting (red, black, earth).

The 2-gang switch has two banks of L(top) L1 and L2.
What goes where?

This is probably very straightforward - but my fusebox is going trip crazy every time I try!!

Sponsored Links
Okaaay, but which is the permanent live from the lighting circuit, which is the switched live back to the ceiling light, which is the neutral from the lighting circuit?

You may need to open the ceiling rose to see how the red/yellow/blue are wired.

On the switch the terminals are usually diagonal, ie L on the top matches with L1 and L2 on the bottom. L1 and L2 on the top match with L on the bottom.

So you want permanent live from the lighting circuit to go to L and a short piece of wire linking that to the other L.

One of the L1 is switched live back to the lighting circuit.

Other L1 is switched live to the cabinet light. (Red?)

Presumably you also need to connect the neutral from the lighting circuit to the neutral to the cabinet light. (Black?)

I would imagine that in the three core its red = feed, yellow = switched live and blue = neutral.

In the t&e red = switched live and black = neutral.

feed into common, with a link to the other common.

switched lives into the L1 terminals

Neutrals together in a strip connector

Earths into the earth terminal as per the pic already.

I am having trouble wiring a replacement 2-gang switch in my kitchen. Any help would be much appreciated!

What did you have there before? Was it a 2-gang switch, or a single gang?

Did you think to make a note of how the wires were connected before removing them?

Left hand cable (see photo) goes to ceiling lights (red, blue, yellow, earth)
How is it connected there?

and right hand cable goes to under cabinet lighting (red, black, earth).
Ditto?

The 2-gang switch has two banks of L(top) L1 and L2.
What goes where?
Depends what goes where at the other ends of the cables.

Do you have a multimeter?

This is probably very straightforward - but my fusebox is going trip crazy every time I try!!
Do you actually know how lighting circuits work?

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

Sponsored Links
Have you got another switch for the ceiling light? Red,Yellow.Blue is normally used for link between 2 way switching, in which case red to L or COM, yellow L1, Blue L2. On the other switch red to L or COM, Black to L1.
However, as you have not noted where they were connected to the old switch no one can be certain without knowing where the Red, Yellow & Blue go to. Time maybe to call an eletrician.

The simplest way to get anywhere is to ask the op to confirm if the black and blue were in a separate connector block.

Since the op told us that various attempts to connect the switch resulted in the 'fusebox going trip crazy' we have to ASSUME the black and blue are neutrals and were together in a separate connector on their own.

If they were in a separate connector block, why were they disconnected?

Thanks one and all for your prompt replies :)

Particular thanks to RF lighting/OwainDIYer - your solution worked perfectly.

The left hand cable contained the permanent live from the ceiling rose.

This was a like for like replacement switch, but my kitchen fitter did not make a note of the previous connections before disconnecting.

However, all good now. Thank you!!!

humble DIYer.

Hi all, apologies for bumping such an old thread. I have the same switch set up as the op except the left switch serves the hall light and the right side serves the porch light. I'm looking to fit a 2 gang smart switch there- I understand what all the wires do but what do I do with the 2 neutral wires? Both into the neutral port?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back