a hole in the ceiling - advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How would you fill in this hole?

[GALLERY=media, 26965][/GALLERY]

These are 22mm pipes from the boiler, two of them are with hot water. My initial idea was to foam it, but I read a few posts saying that it was not a good idea.
I would appreciate any info
1) why is foaming not good?
2) what alternatives do I have?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You could always box-in the pipe work. Then decorate it the same as the wall, so it won't stand out.

Andy

You could always box-in the pipe work. Then decorate it the same as the wall, so it won't stand out.

Andy

Thanks for the advice, but I really want to fill the hole to prevent bugs, etc. from creeping in. Besides, boxing does not look easy to me because of the curves at the very top.

Any more suggestions, pls?

I am a DIYer not a pro

I would stuff loft insulation into the hole and around the pipes to prevent dust and draughts or rubbing noises - but I would be sure to use the white, not-itchy stuff, not a glass fibre or mineral wool one

then use an ordinary decorator's filler. the insulation will give it something to hang on to to prevent it falling out of the hole. It will probably take two or three goes to fill the lot. Push it hard upwards. If you put a big lump in it will tend to droop down under its own weight. You want to get some lying on the upper surface of the plasterboard to help it stay in place.

Sponsored Links
Foam expands,that could lead to problems.

Silicone sealant would probably do it,just do a bit at a time and gradually build it up.It would also give with the expansion and contraction of the C/H pipes.

personally I wouldn't bother the gaps are so small but either silicone or decorators caulk is about all you will get in between the pipes.
Or as has been said box them in.
Spiders and bugs will get in through much bigger holes such as your doors and windows

True foam expands but it won't damage the pipes, it will expand most in the directions that offer the least resistance, ie up and down.

I agree that foam isn't the best thing as it could make a mess and would require cutting back.

I would use caulk in a couple of hits, you cant paint over silicone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back