Kitchen lights stopped working - please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen lights will no longer switch on, since I replaced the ceiling rose and pendant in the bedroom.

There are three lights which appear to be on a circuit on one side of the house: the bedroom, the kitchen and the bathroom. All other ceiling lights appear to be on a separate circuit and have not presented any problem at any point.

Once I had first replaced and rewired the bedroom light, I switched the electricity back on at the fuse box and tested it the it. The bedroom light did not work. Neither did the bathroom or kitchen lights. I realised that I must have rewired the bedroom light incorrectly. I rewired again and and then tried them all again.

This time the bedroom light illuminated successfully as expected. So did the bathroom light. However, the kitchen ceiling light still would not switch on.

The kitchen ceiling light will not switch on at all now.

What could be the problem and what should I do?

Sponsored Links
Were the bathroom & kitchen both connected at the bedroom, or did it go

bedroom -- bathroom -- kitchen?

If the former then you've still not got the kitchen reconnected properly.

If the latter then something has come adrift at the bathroom light.

Have a look at the articles in the Wiki to see how lighting circuits work, and use your multimeter to identify conductors and check continuity.

Do the ones that work come on at full brightness?

I will read the Wikis right away. Thank you.

The bedroom light appears to be at full brightness.

However, the bathroom is now definitely at only half brightness.

What could this mean?

One further problem...

This evening I have now discovered that when I turn on the kitchen light switch, the bedroom lights switch on!

What does this mean?

Sponsored Links
I have solved the problem. The main switch had been labeled incorrectly by the previous electrician. All three wires now in the correct positions. All lights now operating correctly. Thanks for the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back