Adjusting John Carr doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To my embarassment I have forgotten how to do this on 10-year old John Carr plastic-look-like-mahogany double-glazed doors.
There are 2 sets of adjustments by alum key.
I THINK the horizontal one adjusts the height; clockwise to lift?
I also THINK the vertical one adjusts the snugness to the frame, clockwise to tighten the fit?
Do I Have it wrong please (as things keep slipping and I run out of adjustment)

:oops: :oops:

Sponsored Links
Right, back from work...

The one on the side moves the door sideways within the frame

The one under the hinge pin lifts the door up

The one above the hinge pin moves the door in or out ie tighter or looser against the rubbers

Hope this helps ;)

Sponsored Links
Whoops. Spoke too soon..................
There is no top adjuster; only a side one and a bottom one.
You can just about make these out on the photo.
Seems the side one tightens it to the rubber seals and the bottom one supposedly lifts the door, but only slightly.
Problem is it doesn't lift it far enough to fully seal the top before seizing up.
Any thoughts?

Sorry this is turning into a marathon!!! Thanks for your patience

My hinges cetainly look similar to the link you sent me BUT....
Have flipped the top cap off to double-check.
There is no metal adjustment in there. All there is a plastic top designed to support the weatherprofing cap with no sign of anything to turn. The whole of that insert is made purely of plastic.

Have managed to get a pic. [The "sheen" you see down the hole is oil from me oiling in case it was rusted up].

Still stuck with basic problem No matter what I do can't get the door to line up. Am beginning to doubt the quality of the original fitting!

GALLERY]

If you look closely you'll see that that centre hole is actually hexagonal and will take an allen key, it is offset(eccentric) thus will move the door in and out.

What are you actually trying to achieve though?

Thanks again for bothering

Tried allen key in there without success
The plastic in there is very soft and any attempt to use an allen key just leads to it "rounding out".

Am trying to lift the door.
Have a slight gap at top left hand corner (looking from inside) where the wind whistles through. Gap is between the top of the door and the underside of the top horizontal member of the frame

Had to adjust the door a few summers ago as when the sun got on it, as it seized solid and you could not open or shut the door.Now the door just will not lift back to the correct height

If you just want to lift the door up then use an allen key under the hinge, this pushes the hinge pins up, if the door has dropped and is leaning over towards the locking side then use the adjustment in the side of the hinge, this pulls the door over sideways.

The adjusment in the top sounds like its seized up but this isn't causing you the problems though

Yup been trying to do that for past few days without success
So either the hinge is seized or the door has dropped
Guess I need to find a fitter in Cornwall!
Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back