Are intercom systems compatible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Urmet entry phone system on a flat of mine which is probably around 25 years old. Unfortunately my previous tenant has kindly smashed it, although the rest of the system for the other flats in the block is intact.
Can anybody tell me whether I can replace the phone in the flat with a more modern version from another manufacturer and whether it is likely to be compatible with the rest of the Urmet system? It is a simple entry phone system with voice communication between the outside door and the flat, and a door release button.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I have an Urmet entry phone system on a flat of mine which is probably around 25 years old. Unfortunately my previous tenant has kindly smashed it, although the rest of the system for the other flats in the block is intact.

Systems are compatible "up to a point" but why not replace with an Urmet handset then you should have no problems.

Thanks for the quick reply. I hadn't realised that Urmet handsets are still available, but mine is so old that modern versions might not be compatible.
I'll call them tomorrow.
But if systems are broadly compatible (similar voltage?) then I may as well buy a £5 jobbie off eBay.

Thanks for the quick reply. I hadn't realised that Urmet handsets are still available, but mine is so old that modern versions might not be compatible.
I'll call them tomorrow.
But if systems are broadly compatible (similar voltage?) then I may as well buy a £5 jobbie off eBay.

If you get an incompatible one and blow the speech unit at the door the other residents might not thank you.

The terminal markings also vary between systems.

Any chance of a photo of the old handset?

Sponsored Links
Is there really a danger of blowing the speach unit at the door?

It seems that my handset is an Urmet 1130 which uses a 12v AC buzzer.
Can I use any handset which has an AC buzzer, such as a Terraneo 600?

Is there really a danger of blowing the speach unit at the door?

It seems that my handset is an Urmet 1130 which uses a 12v AC buzzer.
Can I use any handset which has an AC buzzer, such as a Terraneo 600?

ISTR terraneos are a bit different in that the feed the speech unit with voltage through the handset BICBW

Unless you really need to save £20 why not get a like for like replacement which you know will work?

I have a list made up over a few years and can swap just about any handset with another.
But as mentioned getting the same make is far easier.

if you haven't sorted it fermax do a universal handset, it might be worth giving them a shout to check compatibility

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back