Problem Hot water flow rate bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a new bathroom fitted on a fairly new Greenstar 30cdi Combi boiler.

Problem is the Hot water pressure and flow rate upstairs.

To fill a 1 litre jug it is as follows:

Hot Water
Kitchen (downstairs) - 5 Secs
Bathroom Basin (upstairs) - 21 Secs
Bathroom Bath (Upstairs) - 21 Secs

time to fill the jug with cold water on all 3 area's is consistently 5 Seconds.

It is just the pressure on the hot water taps upstairs that are the issue, As a result shower pressure from a mixer is week, and it would take a few years to run a bath.

Any idea's?

Sponsored Links
Yes, although it took a while to isolate them when trying to install the bathroom, the plumbing was slightly strange according to my plumber AKA My dad.

I think they are all open fully.

Sponsored Links
strange in that all the valves/stop taps were extremely well hidden and inaccessible.

Before I sounded like an ungrateful brat to my dad, I wanted to find possible reasons for the problems i am encountering. He assured me all the valves were open.

if they are the little ball type that you open with a screwdriver or a small lever, they have a restriction because the hole in the ball is small.

if you have flexible tap connectors they are also constricting as the hose inside is narrow.

I'm not gonna lie...I don't know and am slightly out of my depth.

Does it sound like a valve issue? I think the boiler is powerful enough as it was ok before.

Might it be the new taps aren't appropriate as I have seen that some mixer taps aren't compatable with combi boilers?

I'm not gonna lie...I don't know and am slightly out of my depth.

Does it sound like a valve issue? I think the boiler is powerful enough as it was ok before.

Might it be the new taps aren't appropriate as I have seen that some mixer taps aren't compatable with combi boilers?

the kitchen mixers ok so upstairs shouldn't be an issue.
HP taps are not compatable with LP systems.
but LP taps are compatable with HP systems.

21 secs is abit slow. :(
3 lpm upstairs and 12 lpm downstairs.

your telling me......I haven't even tried filling a bath, and the shower although warm, just trickles out !!!!

Would my combi boiler be a LP system then?

your combi isn't it's hp mains pressure so any taps will work ok.
but hp taps on a lp system won't work well.

so what i'm saying is the taps aren't the issue.

I don't think the problem is to do with any isolating valves (if they have been open fully).

With a high pressured system it doesn't matter what tap you have, it should work fine.

.. My guess is that he has probably put 'one way check valves' on the hot and cold pipework and this could be causing the pressure problem.

so tap's aren't the issue....Boiler isn't the issue...do we think itspossibly a valve issue? upstairs cold seems to have the same flow rate as downstairs...its literally the hot taps upstairs.

then it's a valve on the hot pipe before they split to basin/bath.

so how many of them have you ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back