Fitting copper pipes into a concrete floor.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We are installing a new central heating system into an old houseand have a problem that cannot be avoided :(

The ground floor is of concrete construction and we have to sink a few of the copper feeds for 4 radiators into the concrete :cry:

I have created the relevant chases into the slab for the plumber - approx 60mm deep :eek:

How wold you guys then install the pipes? The plumber is suggesting covering them with the foam insulation we have on site and taping all the joints with duct tape, then filling the chases with rapid set concrete before tiling?

Is that OK? :rolleyes:

Many thanks for any assistance ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks Seco ;)

I'm working away from home as off tomorrow morning and I think the plumber is intending to fit the pipes as I have described - i.e. in the insulation with the joints taped.

Do you think that will be OK?

hi pal!

I have used rockwool to insulate and covered the pipes then with a long sheet of cut aluminium/steel. If you can avoid sinking them would be best! Can you not run the pipework around behind skirts or something!

Sponsored Links
not my choice or rapid set cement insulation will soak up any water in the mix.
i would backfill with a screed mix.

not my choice or rapid set cement insulation will soak up any water in the mix.
i would backfill with a screed mix.

Thats what i'll do then Seco ;)

3 to 1 S/C screed using rapid curing cement. If I can when I get back I will completely wrap the insulation with the duct tape before screeding - do you think that will help?

I was a bit worried that the foam would have to much give and wouldn't prevent any pressure to the pipes from foot traffic above??

No way of running the pipes in the walls boilerdokter already looked into that - there is 4 bay windows in the hallway :eek:

denso rather than duct tape it's greasy.

imagesdcf.jpg

id forget the insulation and just denso.
no it don't stick as it's greasy and won't rot.

Epic thread revival!

I'm about to move into a house that has exposed copper everywhere downstairs, so am wondering the same as the OP.

My thought was to create a channel in the floor with a rebate either side, then screw down some ply to cover them up, rather than fill over so they're accessible (more so than if they're concreted back in).

Would be having engineered flooring over the top. That's how it was done in my current house (not by me).

How close to the walls can the chases be.

Also, are the regs different when using speedfit, i.e. not having it directly touch the concrete?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back