i am cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have primatic central heating (cold water tank in loft feeds toilet. mains house. have hot water cylinder in kitchen. potterton gas fire with back boiler. have powerfushed system.individual theromstatic controls on all but bathroom radiator which has none. all radiators work except one in daughters bedroom. when i feel the feed and return pipes connecting to this radiator one is stone cold and the other is very hot. i have replaced some old radiators as they were tatty and have bled all and they seem ok.i have a danfoss pump under the floor.system has been microbore and installed for about 15yrs as it was originally coal central heating which was changed to gas about 8yrs ago so pipe work is original although most radiators have been replaced. i also have a new should be heated towel radiator on bathroom wall which my hubby is terrified to fit as he needs to drain the sytem and is worried about how to do this as he said something about an air bubble. he is superman otherwise and very skilled at most diy. any ideas please. If i can get this solved i will promise to send you a gift.

Sponsored Links
turn the water off to the head tank in the loft and drain as normal
the problem rad could well be a partial blochage in the pipework
take the rad off and open the valves one at a time into a bucket the one running slow is the prob
possibly a stuck thermostatic valve tho

i have replaced some old radiators

If its since you did this youve had the problem then an airlock in the system is my #1 suspect.
This advice from Kev covers it well

take the rad off and open the valves one at a time into a bucket the one running slow is the prob

Tell superman not to fear the bubble!

A quick post with the words 'dirty tap water' and 'primatic' and us plumbers from the planet Klarg will tell you how to restore your kryptonite air bubble.

No gift required

Kev the system has a primatic, so no header tank.

Circulation problem most likely introduced when valves replaced. Was the installation commissioned for temperature drop across the rads?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back