current difference

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All I have a current draw of 5.6 amps Line and 10.7 Neutral any ideas why I should have such a disparity. :(
Devlin

Sponsored Links
It's single phase suppplying a combi oven, testing it at the terminal block inside the oven I have good access and the tails are on their own no other supply in the same area and the reading responds to the boiler elements cycling on and off, I have metered the elements and there is none down to earth or open,although the cavity elements are tripping an upstream 80/30 RCD and its own 63/30 this is a new circuit I installed during an CU upgrade and new radial circuits all other circuits are ok, total load for this circuit is 9KW wired in 6mm T&E
Devlin

Sponsored Links
5.6 or 10.7 amps is not 9kW. What do you mean that the reading corresponds to the heater(s) cycling on and off ?

What is the constant current reading when the heaters are on-load ?

Are you sure that the readings are on the primary L + N to the oven ?

Is it a true RMS meter that you are using ?

Are you viewing the readings in real time or are they samples ?

Sorry the 9k is total load if all are working together ie cavity and steam this will not happen as it's either or. the elements I am testing are the boiler elements 3 X750w 2.25 KW so I should get 9.8amps in and out but i get 5.6 L and 10 N I use a cheapo clamp it's generall good for guidance I have not checked each element individually so maybe thats the next check
Dev

is there any current in the neutral with the device turned off but still connected to the mains?

Higher current in neutral than in live could be indicative of a neutral-earth fault.

Pugwash cheers for that, gives me another avenue to explore, This things been out of commision for 3 years and each fault I clear somthing else pops up Ho Hum another day another challenge
Dev

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back