Replacing airbricks for sub floor ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an semi detatched house built in 1912. There is a sub floor below the two reception rooms. Now the question is should I replace my existing clay air bricks for the newer plastic ones and increase the size while I'm at it.

Currently there is; 2 at the front of the property at 9x6, 3 along the side of the property 9x3 and two at the rear of the property also 9x3.

What do people think?

K

Sponsored Links
Why do you want to? have you had problems with rot or infestation that makes you think the current ventilation is not adequate?

No point creating work for yourself if it's not solving a problem?

Changing the car or telly every few years may be OK, but it's not the same with airbricks

Why do you want to? have you had problems with rot or infestation that makes you think the current ventilation is not adequate?

Had a survey on the house when I bought it and it was reccomended. Also if we've been away for a few days the house does smell a bit musty in the wetter months.

Cheers

K

Sponsored Links
In that case i guess it's up to you.

Surveyors sometimes suggest work like this as a precautionary measure as even though it may not be needed it is relatively cheap and easy to do. Frankly without backing it up with a reason as to why he/she thinks this work is neccassary i would ignore it because if they have found signs of damp at low level then that would be mentioned.

Whilst i don't doubt your feeling that the house is slightly musty during wet months i don't think this is anything to do with poor sub-floor ventilation, more likely poor house ventilation because people don't open the windows when it's cold and damp.

Had a survey on the house when I bought it and it was reccomended. Also if we've been away for a few days the house does smell a bit musty in the wetter months.

Cheers

K
I`d check that the ones you have actually go through into the underfloor void - Mine didn`t in the old house we`re in now :idea: some went through a convoluted route and others just made the cavity freezing cold :rolleyes: . Easy enough job if you`ve got floorboards , to lift a couple and check it out .

if you really need new air bricks,then go for the plastic type,as there roughly 65% efficient compared to the old terracotta airbricks which iirc are about 6%.

if you really need new air bricks,then go for the plastic type,as there roughly 65% efficient compared to the old terracotta airbricks which iirc are about 6%.

Eh? Can you elaborate on those figures gregers I would like to know more? I use the clay terracotta airbricks everytime over the plastic type for both aesthetic and performance reasons. I think the plastic type look cheap and nasty and how many times walking round new builds do you see them caved in where someone has just kicked them by accident or knocked them with a shovel?

well they were the type we used to fit when i was invovled within the preservation industry,the reasoning about the clay 1s is when looking through the holes they get smaller,as they are fired they shrink so the they are not as efficient as they really should be.
we used to fit 9x6 plastic 1,s,i do agree to a point about them not looking as nice,but if the homeowner is having damp/rot problems then surely you would agree that if a job needs doing then make sure you fit the correct material to ensure the job is not a wasted 1 for the customer.

obviously the only way to ensure 100% airflow is to leave a bloody big hole, :LOL:.
we used to make sure they were well pugged in,i still see a houses in my area that i worked on without any problems and that was over 18 years ago.

A 9x6 terracotta air brick gives about 7.5 sq in ventilation, while a plastic one gives about 20 sq in, so there is quite a big difference.
Old houses had much less underfloor venting than the newer ones, and old air bricks often block up over the years.

Cheers for that Stu. It is a big difference (although no where near the % differential gregers was citing above (6-65%)). It's still ~ 3 times the flow which I would never have guessed. Still, clay air bricks for me - just whack a couple more in! :cool:

Interestingly, (no, realllllllllly :LOL: ) Hanson's rectangular holed air bricks give 2x the flow compared to the square holed that I usually fit (my merchant stocks both but I think the square holed look better). Never stopped to think about it.....

http://www.heidelbergcement.com/uk/en/hanson/products/bricks/brick_specials/air_bricks.htm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back