Sabre 25HE combi boiler odour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I had a Sabre 25HE combi boiler fitted last month. Since then the boiler gives out a gas-like odour everytime it fires up.

I called the plumber back twice. The first time he came, he checked the boiler and assured me that it was only the gas being blown back in through the open window.

But that is not true, as the odour is actually the strongest in the morning, when the kitchen door and window have been shut overnight. So the smell is definitely not being blown back from an open window.

So I called the plumber again, he fitted a detector for harmful gas on the wall. So far it hasn't detected the usual harmful gases. But the odour remains, I find it difficult to breathe in the kitchen now, which is not good when you are around hot cooker and handling sharp knives.

I am worried that this is harmful to my health, or that the smell could be indicating potential danger. I am a girl, and I felt that the plumber, although very polite, seemed to think I was just a neurotic silly woman and dismissed my concerns.

The boiler is fitted on a wall by the kitchen window, just like the old boiler (also combi). Does anyone know what this odour could be? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot.

Sponsored Links
I am not sure. I thought it was like gas and a visiting friend thought so too. But the plumber said it wasn't and the harmful gas detector he fitted hasn't picked up anything. He assured me it's normal but I've never come across a boiler that gives out such odour. My feeling is that any properly installed boiler should really be odourless. :confused:

Sounds like he's fitted a CO detector, obviously if your having trouble breathing in there something isn't right, one would assume he has done a gas tightness test and the flue is sealed properly??

Sponsored Links
He did check over everything and told me the boiler had been fitted properly, he said there is no gas leak. He acknowledged that there is a smell but wasn't bothered about it. Said some boilers just smell depending on where they are installed - but surely, no one lives with a boiler that fills the house with a gas like smell?! Even if it isn't gas, it's likely to be another chemical - any idea what it could be?

I am so frustrated about it. :mad:

I've never installed a smelly boiler, there's nothing close by or on the boiler thats burning?? does it only do it when the boilers been on? You said it is strongest in the morning? Isn't the boiler off overnight though??

It's a combination boiler. The smell is strongest in the morning because the heating is on a timer and goes on for a couple of hours in the morning before anyone gets up, plus hot water for shower.

I'm pretty sure there is nothing burning near or on the boiler that's burning. In any case there is no smoke. The layout of the kitchen is the same as when the old combination boiler was around. The smell only arises whenever the boiler is on. When it's on for a bit, such as running a bath, it gets quite strong and starts filling the living room as well.

This is already the 2nd boiler they installed. The first one turned out to be faulty out of the box and they had to replace it!

call out transco 0800 111 999 they will come out for free and investigate the smell and then your mind is put at rest. It is a 24 hr no!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back