cracks in wall

Sponsored Links
Some description might help - is it an internal or external wall, what's it made of, what's the layout, what's above it, where are you, what ground are you on, have you had any work done recently, how long has it been there...

On reflection, you haven't given much to go on really have you? From the picture I think you've got too many glasses in that cupboard and need to keep the top of them a bit tidier :LOL:

Its my kitchen wall its joined on to my neighbours wall.
I belive its plaster board.i noticed it a year ago but it seems to have grown since. i am not a builder or familiare with building material i would like to think that a carrier bag and a few glasses was not responcible for the cracks in the wall :D

How old is the house? Does you neighbour have a corresponding crack on his side? Does the crack extend beyond the ceiling, i.e. in the room above or up into the loft if not? Are their any other cracks?

If it’s the dividing wall it will almost certainly be block/brick work of some form but you need to establish if it’s a traditional plaster finish over blocks or if someone’s dot & dabbed plaster board over it; you can usually tell by tapping it but sticking something sharp through the skim coat will also tell you which it is. It could be significant or it could be nothing; I’ve often repaired worse than that but it does involve considerable remedial work which would probably result in removing plaster, reinforcing, local repairs, replastering & re-skimming the entire wall but if it’s got worse in the last year, something is still moving around & a repair would be pointless until you solve that. That plaster also looks a bit rough, has it got lining paper stuck over it?

Sponsored Links
Right so its a party wall made of plaster board with a 1 year old crack.. :rolleyes:

How about actually giving some real information.. your just just going to get silly short answers.. also there are paper bags folded on top there..

How about answering these:
Age of building (1930s, 1990s, 1700s?)
Type of property (bungalow, block of flats, supermarket)
Is the wall solid (brick/block, timber, metal stud)
Width of crack (1mm, 100mm)
Does the crack extend above/below the cabnet
Whats above the crack upstairs (hot tub, safe, bath)
Does you neighbour have a crack in same spot their side
Are you founded on clay, chalk, sand, limestone, granite, peat, aluvium, gravels etc..
Recent building works (new extension, new drains, burst water pipe)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back