Advice on best tool for making long cuts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay first off, yes I could just use a saw! But that's not really the point. ;)

Basically I'm finally getting a nice wooden bench which will allow me to attempt some decent woodwork. For the time being I can only afford one powered tool so I've been deciding on what to get, what's going to give me a lot of options? And I've decided that the single most important thing I need to do is to make long(ish) straight cuts in wood.

Now I'd love a standalone band or a circular saw bench but they cost big bucks so I was wondering if there's an alternative? Something like a jigsaw which can be clamped to a bench and powerful enough to make cuts in say 10mm wood which would be feed through it?

Does something like this exist? If not any other advice one the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
£455 might qualify as big bucks. how about a nice 230mm bosch blue circular saw and some decent clamps for your timber guide?

Sponsored Links
I believe a band saw is more likely to cut your hand off.

A circular saw usually only takes a few fingers.

No machine can compare to doing a job by hand...if you have got the time.

A hand saw will be perfect for whatever length/width of timber you plan on cutting.

Alot more satisfaction and peace of mind if done by hand ;)

start off with a decent table saw. I bought a very old cast iron one with a 14 inch blade, it will last forever.

I believe a band saw is more likely to cut your hand off.

A circular saw usually only takes a few fingers.
:eek: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

No machine can compare to doing a job by hand...if you have got the time.
I see the hairshirts with rose tinted specs have arrived.......

These have a good reputation.
Doubtless because you have one, Eh, Joe? Never seen one on site - many joiners buy the Makita 5704RK (I worked with three other guys on muy last job who had one) which can still be had for under £100 if you shop around, like here

These have a good reputation.
Doubtless because you have one, Eh, Joe? Never seen one on site - many joiners buy the Makita 5704RK (I worked with three other guys on muy last job who had one) which can still be had for under £100 if you shop around, like here

I have one of those, except it's red and only cost £50. They're nice saws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back