Vaillant EcoTech Plus boiler - Radiators not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Vaillant EcoTech Plus boiler which is about 3 years old. It has worked fine upto now. However, now it does not seem to want to let me have the heating on. I made sure there is no air in my radiators, but still the problem persisted, so I called Vaillant (on their 60p per min home user line) and they said that there is most likely too much water in the system pressure gauge was sitting at around 3.4-4.0. So I have drained some water out of one of the radiators as I was instructed to do and the pressure is down to about 2.2 now but the heating still isn't coming on.

Does anyone have any idea as to why this would be and how I can try to resolve it without having the call the 60p\m helpline or get a heating engineer in (unless absolutely necessary)

Thanks

Mal

Sponsored Links
When cold the pressure should ba at about 1-00Bar lower to this & try again you will have to press the reset button on the front of the boiler to get it up & running ;)

Pressure needs to come down to about 1.3 and the boiler number is also a help.

When cold the pressure should ba at about 1-00Bar lower to this & try again you will have to press the reset button on the front of the boiler to get it up & running ;)

Thanks I will drain some more water out to get the pressure down some more this evening.

I tried pressing the reset button after draining some water out of a radiator yesterday and it sounded like the boiler switched itself off and back on again as expected but the displayed stayed blank, is that normal? If I manually turn the boiler off by turning the dial from 1 to 0 and back again the display comes back again. Is this likely to be a problem or just a glitch?

Sponsored Links
If the display remains blank, but the boiler makes noises after you press the reset button or turn the power off then on, you have a display pcb fault.

Usually the display shows the temperature. Also the 'radiator' symbol will show when your timeclock and room thermostat are calling.

Sounds liked you need an Gas Safe engineer who is familiar with Vaillant appliances.

Bunny

If the display remains blank, but the boiler makes noises after you press the reset button or turn the power off then on, you have a display pcb fault.

Usually the display shows the temperature. Also the 'radiator' symbol will show when your timeclock and room thermostat are calling.

Sounds liked you need an Gas Safe engineer who is familiar with Vaillant appliances.

Bunny

The display only stays blank when I do a reset. If I turn the boiler off manually, then turn it back on, the display is fine

Okay, thats normal then.

Is the radiator symbol showing in the display? If not then make sure all your heating controls are on. ie timeclock on constant and room thermostat turned up. If you have a digital room thermostat the batteries may need changing.

Secondly, does the temperature displayed alter when you turn the heating dial (lower of two) up and down. If not the knob is broken.

Bunny

Okay, thats normal then. Is the radiator symbol showing in the display? If not then make sure all your heating controls are on. ie timeclock on constant and room thermostat turned up. If you have a digital room thermostat the batteries may need changing.

Bunny

Yes the radiator symbol is showing. I have now drained one of the radiators a bit more and got the pressure down to 1.4 when cold (it has gone up to 1.8 since I turned the heating on), but only the radiator that I drained the water out of is getting even slightly warm, none of the others are showing any signs of life.

I thought either all of them or none of them would get warm unless they had air in them, but I checked them all for air the other day and they seem fine, so I am still a bit confused now.

Press the i button under the display and post back the status code displayed. It will be S followed by a number.

Bunny

Ok, now can you turn the radiator temperature control on the boiler up and down and confirm the display alters as you do this. Then leave it about 70C.

If after this your radiators still remain cool/cold check:

1. Thermostatic radiator valves are not stuck (remove sensor head and check pin on valve body has about 5mm movement)
2. air locked pipework (bleed all rads of air)
3. Boiler isolation valves on the heating pipes underneath the boiler are on. ie the slots on the valve stem are in-line with the pipe, not at 90deg to it.
4. lockshield valves on the radiators are not closed down.

That should do for starters. Anything else really needs to be checked out by an engineer.

Bunny

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back