Alternative wanted to blinds,curtains for bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bedroom is painted white, with a white bed linen.

The wardrobes are beech colour.

I've been trying to inspire myself for about 6 months now, and still no further forward.

My bedroom is front facing, therefore load of steet lights and noise.

Ideally I am looking for something that will give complete blackout.

So far my only idea is to have internal solid wooden shutters. This is extreamly costly (although I guess I could do a DIY on it)

Any other ideas people

Sponsored Links
freestyle said:
Ideally I am looking for something that will give complete blackout.
The only way for complete blackout is blackout roller blind with side channels.

cut a piece of ply or mdf to the size of the window to cover it and put something on the otherside maybe a mirror and you could hang the mirror somewhere else when you want light or maybe a picture

Sponsored Links
You can get blackout curtain linings, fit a pelmet to the top and make sure that there is a large overlap at the ends and bottom for the linings. This should cut out most of the street light. Use ear plugs for the noise.

Alternatively, fill the opening with bricks and mortar.:cool:

You can always ask the council to fit a shroud on the light if it is directly outside your property.

I have a blackout roller blind with no side channel behind the curtain and it hidden in the pelmet as I do shiftwork.

Jbonding....

You read my mind...

Not sure if it will look tacky or not. But I was already thinking of mirrors.

I'd have to work out the hinges and have a few folds but it would definately work.

And my dear lady never seems to have enough mirrors.....

I also saw a programme on channel4 saying how mirrors in a bedroom can add an element of excitment.... I'll leave you all with that thought...

Thanks again all

you are supposed to put them on the ceiling, the exitement being will they fall off?

why dont you have the hinges at the top of the window so it opens up to the ceiling then have it hook on to something from the ceiling.

hmm,

Interesting idea. Just trying to break down the idea a bit more.

Are you suggesting that I have a single piece of wood that simply has a hinge where the normal curtain pole would sit ?

Have you seen any picures of anything similar anywhere before ?

put the hinges on the top of the window were you would put net curtains that should block the most light out, ive not seen anything similar but if you checked the net you might find something similar, you could use piano hinges.

Think carefully before fixing a lot of mirrors.
They can be a problem to keep clean, especially if you get condensation in the bedroom.

I also was thinking along a similar line of Piano hinges. I even tried to draw a picture and upload, my I could'nt get the perpective right to explain what I was thinking.

As we are on the subject, any idea where on say screwfix the correct hinges are ?

Are they called piano hinges ? or something like 180 degree hinges.. I'm off to search anyway

Thanks Sandwell.

I'm luck enough not to have condensation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back