upvc door locks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My doors are fitted with locks that use a key looking simillar to a yale key and the door handle has to be pushed upwards before you can lock the door.

I am told that the locks can be broken from the outside removed and the door opened with a screwdriver.

I am also informed that there is a type that has a weaker point built in so that they snap off and do not allow the use of the screwdriver.

Is this correct and if so how do I tell the differance between the two types.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I think what you are talking about is a snapsafe cylinder. You would be able to tell is you have one already by removing your present cylinder and seeing if it has a slot or slots in the barrel. Slots would be snapsafe, no slots not snapsafe. More information is available on the Squire web site see:-http://www.squirelocks.co.uk/html/cylinders_snapsafe.htm
DC
Teamlocksmiths.

Sponsored Links
Further to my post I have discovered that the distributer/makers of
AVOCET ABS cylinders is just around 4 miles away and I have arranged to collect three this pm.

They seem to be highly rated in on line revues and I hope to fit them today.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back