Closing Redundant Fireplace - Ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just ripped out a redundant hearth and fireplace to reveal the original square fireplace opening - the intention is to plasterboard it to leave a closed recess.

I'll be fitting a cowl to the chimney pot itself, but what sort of venting should be done in the fireplace?

The recess will be painted white so I want to minimise the possibility of soot and water entering.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The majority of closed off fireplaces that i've seen or worked on, normally have a small plastic vent, that can be opened or closed. I think they come in sizes 9"x 3" or 9"x 6". They look neat enough when fitted,,,, they're just screwed on.

Thanks - where should the vent fit? In the chimney breast or above the hearth in the flue?

I've just re-read your post again, after picking it up wrong. You said you are going to plasterboard the old fireplace opening, and use it as a recess, so where do you put an air vent?? If you have plasterboarded the sides of the opening and also plasterboard the underside (above the hearth), you could fit an air vent in the underside itself. You would get very little mess coming down the chimney with the cowel fitted anyway.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back