looking for garden lighting advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am looking for some help on my garden lighting project. I would like to install four low wattage garden lamposts of about 2 metres in height along approx 40 metres of garden. I would prefer the low wattage(approx 60w each) as I would like them to be on continuous from dusk till dawn. I dont want them on a sensor system. I have searched the net and came across numerous switch timer units but is there such a system that allows the timer to be concealed in any way. The reason I ask is I have a firend who has a similar system in there house and they dont have any timer switches that are apparent on theie own system and this was installed prior to them buying the house and it comes on at dusk and goes off in the morning.

I have one outside pir light above my door which works of a spur switch inside the house.

My thoughts were swa cabling 2.5 mm (would 1.5mm do the job) powering the four lamps of approx 60w each. Wiring them on a parallel system and possibly using the current fitted spur switch to power it up as its only 240w in total. I would bury the cable down 2ft run plastic conduit through the concrete base at each light for wiring.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Use 2.5mm swa, that future proofs the cable and allows bulb or fitting upgrades if ever required.

Outside should be rcd protected, so change the fused spur for an rcd fused spur if the circuit isn't already protected by an rcd or rcbo at the board.

For simplicity you could fit a timer adjacent to the fused spur.

If you have the circuit already rcd / rcbo protected one of these would do the job

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMFST11.html

SMFST11.JPG

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I am looking for some help on my garden lighting project. I would like to install lighting which will cost me about £2 per week to run so that my garden can be lit up all through the night for the benefit of the constant stream of people walking through it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back