Valliant boiler about to break?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I was hoping to get some advise about my parents boiler from you knowledgable people.
They have a 2 year old (just out of warranty) Valliant ecomax 635e system boiler and a megaflow sealed tank in a laundry room downstairs. It was running fine as far as my parents were concerned.

They just called a man out to have it serviced for the first time and were told that a gasket in the combustion chamber is breaking (melting?) away. Anyway the man said to shut the boiler down immediately and call Valliant.

Now Valliant have said that they will send a guy out on tuesday and will charge £300 to fix it if it is not a manufacturing fault.

I just have a few questions:
1) Has anyone heard of this gasket problem before? Is it common?
2) Is this something that is normally changed in a yearly service?
3) Would a broken gasket come under a consumable item or would it be a manufacturing fault?
3) If we need a new boiler what would be an equivalent (or better)?

Sorry I don't have more details about the gasket, parents aren't good at asking questions. I would really appreciate anyones help or advise on this.

Sponsored Links
THe Burner door Gasket is a known problem however as the boiler was not serviced after 12 months the free upgrade has not been carried out whether or not Vaillant will do this after 24 months will have to be seen the gasket itself is a consumable item TBH. ;)

thanks for the quick reply Boilerman 2

Thanks to your post I've been reading up a little bt about the seals. It seems like we weren't informed about the issue because Vaillant only recognise it as a problem for the ecotec range, not ecomax range.

I hope they can resolve this without us having to pay so much for what was effectively a design flaw.

For the benefit of the OP....

the early Vaillants had a serious issue with the burner to heat exchanger gasket. Being made of silicon and coupled with a design issue they were prone to burning up resulting in a serious safety issue.

On a 2 year old boiler the gasket issue should not be a problem since the seal was now manufacturered from graphite.

It sounds as though they've had an idiot round to look at the boiler and he doesn't understand the issues. Perhaps he's removed the burner and the graphite seal has part disintegrated and he thinks this is a recall issue with Vaillant.

On a 2 year old boiler AFAIR Vaillant don't recommend the burner is removed...just the usual checks required..specifically on these type of boilers that the combustion process is within tolerance.

If it is this gasket then forget calling in Vaillant. Just find a competent installer, tell him the model and request he brings a new burner gasket (prob. around £20).

I suggest you talk to the original "engineer" and ask specific questions about the issues.

Sponsored Links
if its ecomax then i would be surprised if its 2 years old. any boiler produced after march 06 had the graphite seal.

The fact that its only 2 years old had me confused about the seal. I'll try and get hold of the engineer tomorrow and ask about the gasket and find out if he thought there was damage inside also.

This forum is fantastic... quickest responses ever.
Thanks everyone.

In my experience if a Customer claims his or her boiler is 2 years old it is usullay about 5!! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back