power flush my radiators, how is it done ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, with the winter nearly on us i have switched on my Gas Central Heating Radiators, at the beginning of the year i did introduce some Fernox into the system to CLEAN it out, after which i drained that out and introduced a Fernox Rust Inhibitor.

Over the last few weeks i have had a new pump fitted, the old one hadnt failed, it was simply very noisy, just a few days ago i had to have a new 3 way motorised valve fitted while all this was being done by proffesionals i removed one of the radiators because it appeared to be bunged up, it was.

Anyway, following two visits by proffessional plumbers removing and renewing the Pump and Motorised valve they both confirmed that my system could do with a PROPER Power Flush as i have a lot of Sludge.

So can the members please let me know how does this Power Flush thing work ?, it does seem there is more than one way of doing it so which way is the best and the longest lasting, i have had enough of trying to do this job myself !.

Do they simply remove the pump and put a pump of there own in it's place etc. or do they treat/clean each radiator seperately, they must introduce some chemicals as well, how long can it take etc.

Any information at all will help me understand the process that is involved, thanks.

tim

Sponsored Links
its done with a mix or cleaning chemicals and water circulated at high speed rarther than pressure with a powerflushing pump
the flow is also reversed several times

each rad should be done seperatley and thumped with a rubber mallet to loosen the carp

good flush with clean water and add inhibitor

you might get the odd weeping rad valve etc thats a chance you take ;)

kevplumb:- thanks for that kev, can i please have a little more detail on the business of cleaning each radiator individually, does this involve removing the big square plug that is at each end at the top corner of each radiator ?, i guess it must be removed otherwise how do you get the flow going fast enough. unless of course you have to remove each radiator and turn it upside down !, but then how would the pipework between the radiators get cleaned ?.

tim

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back