Dimplex electric fire not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

After almost 5 years of fault free use, my Dimplex heater has stopped working - just in time for the first cold!

The model is a "Navarra NAV15P Pebble" (links at bottom) and there are some symptoms that have me baffled. The fire has the usual flame effect driven by a small motor and two 60W bulbs, neither of which are working. I've changed the bulbs and the plug fuse with no change.

Every so often, I've been switching it on at the mains socket to see the two bulbs briefly flicker then go out. Does the fact that there is some electricity flow, albeit for milliseconds, mean that the fault is probably electrical?

Any helpful advice would be gratefully received!

Sarah

http://www.dimplex.co.uk/assets/kb/operating_instructions/Navarra_Pebble_Instructions_-_Issue_3.pdf

http://www.dimplex.co.uk/assets/kb/self_help_guide_diagnostics/fires_and_surrounds.pdf

Sponsored Links
From your description, the first thing I'd look for would be a loose terminal, probably in the plug.

PJ

Handy Tip:

When replacing a fuse, always check the tightness of the electrical connection and cord grip screws at the same time. You've already got the plug open and in your hand, and a screwdriver in the other hand - takes only seconds to do.

:cool:

Sponsored Links
I've checked the plug and followed your advice, sheds, and while everything looks much tidier, it hasn't solved the problem.

As it sounds like a connection problem, should I try to check the wires at the other end of the cable, i.e. take the back of the fire and see if anything is loose there?

Does anything else you plug into that socket work OK?

If you plug the fire into other sockets does it behave in the same way?

Does anything else you plug into that socket work OK?

If you plug the fire into other sockets does it behave in the same way?

Yes, unfortunately - it doesn't make a difference when I tried it with two other sockets. The TV works fine in the socket that the fire takes normally. :(

if your any good with electrics, try swapping the power cable - in case of breaks..

Otherwise, maybe using a multimeter (with the electric turned off and unplugged) have a look for breaks inside?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back