damp on interior wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a 1930's house, I have a damp patch on an interior hallway wall. I know one time the floors were wooden and now are concrete. the damp patch runs along about 2 metres and is 0.5 metres up the wall. we have not got damp any where else in the house.

We are going to put porcelain tiles in the hall and would like to rectify this damp problem at the same time.
can you give me any advise on how to do this

Sponsored Links
look for a source of damp. In that position it might be a plumbing leak such as a radiator pipe, or a sink on the other side of the wall, but water mains often run under the hall towards the kitchen. You may get an idea from the position of the outside stopcock and the rising main inside

I am assuming of course that you are not doing anything to cause damp, such as draping wet washing on radiators.

a photo might help
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539

The damp on this wall was there even before the central heating was put in, the otherside of the wall is the living room and this is not showing any sides of damp.

Our outside stopcock is not outside our house but is 4 houses away as it serves the 4 houses.

The wallpaper is still on the wall so a photo will not show the damp(although the wall paper is all loose on the wall and slightly discoloured.)

it still suggests an plumbing leak under the floor to me. you could drill a hole in the floor and see how wet it is.

where do you think the water main runs?

if you pull the skirting board off you might see where the wet is centred. does the floor seem wet, or does it have a dp, under the new concrete?

Sponsored Links
I have just removed the skirting board and the plaster came off down to the bare brick.

There is a dpm under the concrete floor that ends before it reaches the wall if there is no dpm under this wall, how do I put one in, can I drill the wall and put in silicone?

i would be grateful for any help

is there a damp shape on the brick?

show us a photo

where do you think the water main runs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back