Which Alarm

C

ColinJacobson

I am not up with alarms.

What is the best to buy, that

1. Requires little wiring
2. Effective.

Is there an alarm that caters fro a cat in the house?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
the Yale wireless alarms require almost no wiring. The top-of-the-range 6400 model will phone out in the event of an alarm, so it needs to be connected to the mains and a phone line. You have to fit this control panel well away from likely intrusion to prevent anyone unplugging it to prevent it phoning out, or smashing it to prevent it triggering the siren.

Yales are not as good as professional alarms, so when I fitted one, I sprayed the case white and put on an alarm co label, and fitted a "confidence" blue flashing l.e.d. to make it difficult to identify

Response also make wireless alarm which are a bit more expensive. They are easily recognised as a DIY system though.

Pet-resistant PIRs mostly rely on being aimed high up so that small pets can walk beneath them. Cats are able to jump onto furniture so this method does not work. However you can use plenty of door contacts, as most cats can't open a door. A professional alarm might use a sensor mat under the carpet and on the stairs, which might need more weight than a cat to set it off. I don't know if these are still used much now that PIRs are so cheap and reliable.

You can also add smoke detectors, flood detectors and cordless panic buttons to the Yale, but I am sure it would not meet any regulatory requirements.

I`d stay away from the above mentioned.
Low end PRO kit is far better than high end tat and will meet standards if signed off by a PRO company, although they will want more to fit it.
Still want to fit it, use a Visonic Powermax+. 28 wireless zones , wireless sounder. Only cable is for the power supply to panel. Can dial out, listen in.Interrogate via a PC. Or a Scantronic Homelink, bit more expensive.

Thanks.

The Visonic Powermax+. Is is best to have the smoke and heat alarms wired to the unit, or separate hard wired smoke and heat alarms?

Sponsored Links
Powermax is designed for wireless.
Everything will report low battery at the panel, which also talks to you as well.
So use wireless. If your going for hard wired stuff plus wireless you need to go up a notch in the panel range and spend more on radio receivers.
Could use Scantronic or Menvier, both under the Cooper Security umbrella.
Galaxy is now becoming available over the "sheds" but unless you know what you are doing they can be difficult.

Stick with Powermax if it is a DIY project.

Thanks. It is not a DIY. Hard wired, not wireless, is the way now. That is how it is going to be.

1. The smoke and heat alarms. Is it best to have them separate from the alarm, as per normal, or all on one alarm unit?

2. What are the best pet friendly sensors?

3. What hard wired unit would you use, that is not super expensive?

1, First is the property yours or to be let, there are rules to adhere to.
If yours then by all means have the detection on the same system.
2,There are many pet tolerant sensors on the market, what is best? What pet (s) do you have. Will they be able to run up and down stairs? Too many factors to just say one make/product.
3,Personally I love Galaxy panels ( you might be able to buy one, but I doubt you could get a manual for it, trade only say Honeywell the makers).
Menvier and Scantronic are good ( supplied by Cooper Security). Then you have Premier by Texecom. All good solid panels for a reasonable amount of money.
As you can see there are many to choose from, what you have to decide is what do you want the system to do. Can it be expanded ( most can be) can it contact you in an activation? Do you want control Via Internet?
Remember the system should suit your needs, not you fit around its limitations as it used to be in the dark ages :p.
Get 3 local companies to offer a quotation, see what they advise. Remember we are here to help and if we do not get a sale from a quote, such is life. You never know you might take one up on their recommendations.

Thanks.

1, First is the property yours or to be let, there are rules to adhere to.
If yours then by all means have the detection on the same system.

No rental. The smoke and heat alarms are now to be on separate systems.

2,There are many pet tolerant sensors on the market, what is best? What pet (s) do you have. Will they be able to run up and down stairs? Too many factors to just say one make/product.

Pet is a cat and it will be running up and down stairs.

3,Personally I love Galaxy panels ( you might be able to buy one, but I doubt you could get a manual for it, trade only say Honeywell the makers).
Menvier and Scantronic are good ( supplied by Cooper Security). Then you have Premier by Texecom. All good solid panels for a reasonable amount of money.

Thanks. I will look into what they have. A hard wired Visonic?

As you can see there are many to choose from, what you have to decide is what do you want the system to do. Can it be expanded ( most can be) can it contact you in an activation? Do you want control Via Internet?
Remember the system should suit your needs, not you fit around its limitations as it used to be in the dark ages :p.

Good point. The more the options the better.

Get 3 local companies to offer a quotation, see what they advise. Remember we are here to help and if we do not get a sale from a quote, such is life. You never know you might take one up on their recommendations.

Getting a pro in and wiring it ourselves are still open option. Part P does not apply to wiring an alarm, only its power supply.

The smoke and heat alarms will be on their own "non-protected" circuit from the CU. One is available. It "may" be possible to have the intruder alarm on the same circuit.

I don't understand all this secretiveness with manuals. If I were a crook - I'd just buy the panel at Gardiners - and then find the manual made no difference to me breaking in anywhere. It's mad.

I don't understand all this secretiveness with manuals. If I were a crook - I'd just buy the panel at Gardiners - and then find the manual made no difference to me breaking in anywhere. It's mad.

Gardiners selling to public now joe?

Come on now, you do know Galaxy panels don't come with the manuals, don't you?

To be honest, in 25 years in the industry I've NEVER come into contact with a Galaxy. Never even removed a duff one. I've seen them in Gardiners but have only ever used the Texecom and Scanny stuff. I remember an old grey Galaxy from about 1990 - is that one related?

Used to be called the executive a loooong time ago, when thorn were around i think.

Used to supply manuals with classics and early g2/3 but not anymore

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back