Can I increase the size of my mains water pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know if I can enlarge the size of my mains water supply to my house?
The cast iron pipe that is there is not very large and I run a combi off mains pressure.
Im sure that I heard that you can increase the size of the pipe resulting in a greater flow rate - I was hoping to add another shower to the system and am trying to combat pressure loss and thought this may be a solution.
Opinions? :)

Sponsored Links
Good idea to change your iron / lead supply into the house to a 25 mm plastic one.
However it does not come cheap :(

You will need to involve your water company who will give you a quote.
Do not expect much change out of a grand :cry:

First thing is to confirm the problem you're trying to fix. If you've got a long (more than 15 metres) small-diameter steel service pipe, it might be worth just changing that.

If there's a 'meter pit' or other (working) stopvalve already in place at the boundary of your property, you can change the service pipe from there into the house usding your own resources - in fact, it's already YOUR responsibility, not the Water Company's. OTOH, if it's lead, you may be able to get the Company to change it FoC. You said 'cast iron' - that's very unlikely. More likely to be steel. But check it's NOT lead.

Some Companys offer cheap deals to fix / replace leaking / old service pipes but yours doesn't seem to qualify.

Sponsored Links
the water companies are obliged to fix the first leak you report to them on your service pipe, this was agreed at some conference or other recently as a gesture to save water.

Good idea to change your iron / lead supply into the house to a 25 mm plastic one.
However it does not come cheap

Actually just the pipe itself is cheap as chips. change out of 25 quid for a 50 metre coil.
Its getting it in the ground that costs the money!!!!
You any good with a spade?

Have found out that the mains is fed by a lead pipe that has been repaired in one place with copper piping..
Anyway - do the council replace the mains pipe if lead or is it my responsibility?
Should I replace the lead pipe regardless?
The pipe is 15mm so it seems that I am losing out a lot on flow pressure!

They only have to replace lead free if lead solvency is high in your area. You would have middling to soft water for that to be the case. Phone the water carrier and ask - they know from post codes.

Water board usually connect up to your new service at the boundary of your property free of charge.
The pipes on ur property are your responsibility if you are the owner.
The council may give you a grant towards replacement of lead service pipe but are not responsible for plumbing to your house unless they own it.

It all varies by district over the country I think. Thames water charge for everything like connecting, UNLESS a high lead area.

I can confirm that - I am replacing lead pipework up to boundary stopcock. Thames Water just quoted me £500 to reconnect. Greedy b*ds.

Check with your local council .... You may be able to get a grant :idea:
Especially if you have children in the house if its a lead pipe as it has been proven to affect their developement.
About your water supplier..... I found THIS .Pdf pages 85 &86 {82&83 of the document} may be useful to you especially the bit that says this>>
"If supply is in bad condition then replacement will be carried out free of charge". So whether I've read that thing right or not they may just cave in and do it for nothing if you wave an OFWAT document in their face.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back