Socket problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for some advice on where I should start to fix an electrical problem that I have come across.

The problem is I have just moved into a new house and I am refitting the kitchen, I have just had a new Candy gas hob fitted but when I plug in the ignition it sparks up and the gas hob is fine but when I turn the hot water on which inturn starts the combi boiler there is a bit of a click noise from the hob and all the electrics trip on the RCD.

This problem does not happen if the hob is unplugged or if another appliance is plugged into this socket ie a radio.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks Mark

Sponsored Links
Bizarre! Sounds like earth leakage on the hob and boiler add up to more than 30mA.

*scratches head.

So the hob works fine and doesn't trip the RCD but when you fire the boiler up it trips. When you run the boiler and the hob is disconnected the RCD holds? Both supplies on the same circuit?

Check the bonding on the boiler. Sounds like the gas pipe is the link for some leakage current.

Get the hob PAT tested?

Yes it very strange but I think that they are both on the socket circuit I will have to do a bit of testing it might be off the lights. It doesnt trip an individual circuit it trip the main switch when it happens.

The hob is brand new, any idea why it trips on the hob and not the radio when the boiler fires up, should i take it back?

I take it that you mean the earth connection to the boiler feed and check that the gas mains is bonded.

Thanks Mark

Could be related to an earth problem. The radio might be double-insulated (not earthed). Have a look at the earth pin on the plug, is it plastic?

Sponsored Links
I'm going to go with "The hob is leaking to earth and the boiler may have some leakage too, which total more than the rating of the RCD in the board"..
the "leak" from the boiler may be intentional with filtering on the fan

I have checked and tightened the earth connection in the socked and the feed to the combi boiler both were a bit loose but since doing this the RCD is nolonger tripping when the hob is plugged in and I start the combi.
Not sure which one it was but it appears to have resolved the problem.

Thanks to all that replied it pointed me into the right direction. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back