whats the best wood for tall box stand?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to construct and box wall - 32" length/width and 66" height.

I want to cover it with material of some sort like an art gallery so it doesnt matter if it doesnt look pretty - but I am unsure of the best material on a budget that will be quite rigid.

Any advice please?

Sponsored Links
Plasterboard on batterns would be cheap and easy to cover in material , or if you want something harder then ply would be ok , easier to glue material to than mdf.

Silly question alert: what are batterns?

Good idea about the plasterboard though - this could work.

Batten [no R] is just lengths of timber cut into strips, 1"X2", 2"X 2", etc.
You could mount pin-board sheets onto this and material can be staple to it and allow pins etc to be used to mount artwork.

Sponsored Links
Batten [no R] is just lengths of timber cut into strips, 1"X2", 2"X 2", etc.
You could mount pin-board [ lighter than plasterboard or timber] sheets onto this and material can be staple to it and allow pins etc to be used to mount artwork.

Thanks for the correction foxy :)
I have done something similiar in the past and have used sundeala board (feel free to correct the spelling again if needed) onto which a canvas type of material was glued. It was used as a sort of pinboard and is an ideal board to use , however, it is expensive and not every where stocks it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back