Telephone Constant Ringing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi;

Having done some decorating I have re-routed some telephone extensions, one into my new kitchen and the other into my new computer room. The problem I now have is that the phone does not Ring Ring it just RIIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGGGSSSSS constantly and is very annoying!!

I have a BT Master Socket (Looks quite old) with a blue capacitor and two wires in Blue and Orange connected to A & B terminals with a spare Green wire that is not connected, there is a spare connector marked E (This has never been connected).

I have two extensions which are hard wired into the spare terminal blocks of the master socket one to the kitchen which goes into a standard slave socket connected from and to terminal 2 and 5 and the other which goes to the computer room but this is wired into a (I think mercury) Phone / ADSL socket, again connected from and to terminal 2 and 5 on the master socket.

The phone in the kitchen is connected via an ADSL Filter.

When a phone is connected to the master socket it Ring Rings OK and when the Phone / ASDL socket is disconnect the kitchen phone Ring Rings OK but when the Phone / ADSL socket is connect both the kitchen and the phone in the computer room RIIIINNNGGGG constantly.

There are no other extensions on the line.

I have tried connecting the Orange / White Ring Circuit wires for both extensions but no joy.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
I beleive your not supposed to interfer with the Master socket, therefore you should get BT out and you will have to pay their callout charge.

I beleive your not supposed to interfer with the Master socket, therefore you should get BT out and you will have to pay their callout charge.

The extensions are wired into the removeable faceplate which I believe you can play around with, anything back from the faceplate is what you cannot mess with.

And pay BT for a callout - NEVER

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back